Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 October 2005
Dr Seuss stories come alive when they are read aloud. The four stories on offer here are four of my childrens favourites (and if truth be told my own as well). Adrien Edmondson does not have a reputation for reading childrens books, I remember him from "The Young Ones" and Bottom, but he does a pretty good job of delivering these.
The Cat in the Hat and The Cat in the Hat Comes Back allow Edmondson to deliver his lines which the manic style that most listeners will instantly know is his (at least their parents will). Whilst on Fox in Socks and Green Eggs and Ham he manages a simple vocal style that children will warm to.
There are pleanty of musical interludes and sound effects as part of this production and my children love it.
It's an ideal CD to stick on in the car and I enjoy it as much as my kids do. I'm giving it 8/10!
on 14 September 2017
My 2 and 3 year olds absolutely adore this CD and ask for it every time we go in the car. Adrian Edmonson is wonderful as the narrator, particularly when reading The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, where his comic vocals make even me laugh out loud (at the ripe old age of 33!). A great purchase.
on 8 March 2017
My granddaughter loves this cd
on 11 September 2017
Love it, my 4 year old love loves it
on 28 July 2017
my 8 year old really enjoyed this book
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 April 2006
I'm not a great fan of Adrian Edmondson (Young Ones, Bottom, etc) but he is *brilliant* on this CD, a perfect choice as narrator. It's about the only kids CD I can bear to listen to more than once as it's really entertaining for adults as well. He reads in such a fun way and the sound effects are good too - they don't go on all the time, but add to the humour and the story where appropriate and there are some weird and wonderful noises! The reading is also very clear which is important for young children who aren't as familiar with the vocabulary as adults. I didn't really understand the appeal of Dr Seuss and couldn't make sense of some bits until I heard this, but now I am a fan.

It's great value for money too. Lots of kids CDs seem to only have one very short story and pad it out with different versions or a song or two, but this one is about 45 minutes of proper storytelling with both Cat in the Hat stories, Green Eggs and Ham and Fox in Socks, all read really well.

Highly recommended for any child who likes Dr Seuss. I think it would also be great for a reluctant reader - might tempt them to take a look at the books.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2011
The Cat in the Hat CD contains a number of classic stories from Dr.Seuss read by Adrian Edmonson (Best remembered as Vyvyan from the Young Ones). The stories are read well with enthusiasm and enjoyment. There are a lot of sound effects and noises which the children seem to enjoy but which can sometimes make it difficult to hear the words. Dr Suess has a very distinctive style with ryhmes and repetition, which the children like, but which I start to find annoying after a while. Already a firm favourite in the car my wife and I get bored with this before the children do. We normally insist they chose another CD after listening to this one for our sanity. In short - fantastic for kids but if you buy it think about where they are going to listen to it because its not so much fun for adults!
on 22 June 2016
An introduction to the Cat in the Hat for my little one, she loves him now. One of her favourites!!
on 16 April 2012
I found this audio tape so annoying due to an over the top voice of the narrator that my daughter agreed for me to put it into a petrol station bin after 5 minutes of listening to it!!! Awful, annoying and a waste of money!!!
on 27 August 2004
This is probably not how you imagined 'The Cat in the Hat' should sound. It's almost certainly not how you read it to yourself as a child or out loud to your own children.
For one thing, you get background music, somewhat reminiscent of those 1960s Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Plus noisy sound effects. Plus Adrian Edmondson acting midway between his Vyvyan persona and a vaguely responsible adult.
This is not bedtime listening! It's far too exciting to expect the kids to go to sleep quickly afterwards. It's better as the key ingredient for relieving a tedious car journey.
By the way, the other stories include:
'The Cat in the Hat Comes Back'
'Green Eggs and Ham'
'Fox in Socks'
but sadly not Seuss's masterpiece, 'One Fish, Two Fish'.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse