This is simply (actually, not so simply) the best beginning book ever for reading aloud!
Children learn to read by first hearing adults read aloud to them. The funnier and more memorable the story, the faster the child learns. In this outstanding book, Dr. Seuss has created delightfully convoluted tongue-twisters to engage enormous laughter, combined with lots of learning. You'll have a ball reading this book out loud, and hearing your child read it with you. Such experiences are great bases for building emotional support and comfort for your child, and establishing a lifelong closeness with your child.
What is absolutely brilliant about the book is that it creates forgiveness for any errors that occur. Mr. Knox, the person who cannot easily say the tongue-twisters, is the hero of the story. This, too, encourages learning. We are expected to mis-say these sentences. Reprieved by Dr. Seuss from the sentence of perfection, we go ahead with more confidence into our laughter.
Here's you first warning about reading aloud: "The first time you read it, don't go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble." Notice, that since only your tongue can get into trouble, you as a person are safe. What a wonderful, loving way to encourage your child!
Your tongue also gets sympathy at the end wondering how numb your tongue is from reading aloud.
Everybody can handle the first page but it soon goes to maximum difficulty.
Mr. Fox is good at coming up with challenges. Mr. Knox is quickly overwhelmed, and Mr. Fox comes up with a harder one each time despite agreeing to come up with an easier one.
But Mr. Knox comes out on top in the end.
After memorization is quite far along, you can have races and time how long it takes to read the book. Children love to be timed doing things and take great pleasure in their progress. I suggest that you not race yourself, for that might discourage a child who goes more slowly than you do.
You can also use these sentences to point out how word order affects meaning. There are many advanced grammar lessons in this material, that will help you child write better.
In typical Dr. Seuss fashion, though, the drawings are the best part. You will see more complex, amalgamated images than you can possibly imagine, and each one visually reinforces the importance of word sequencing.
Having been challenged by this convoluted cove of cavernous cacophony, it will eventually occur to your child that reading such siblilant spoutings of stirruped stentorian sounds . . . is most easily done silently. So the learning to read process will naturally progress from the book's content. Yet, the silent reading will be predictably punctuated with great gales of laughter, built from the experience of reading the book aloud with you. You'll smile when you hear the familiar laughs.
As you can see, this is not so simply a brilliant book. It will provide your family with endless fun and learning.
After you have finished mastering this book aloud, I suggest that you and your child write your own version. You'll have even more fun with that one.
on 7 February 2004
My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves all Dr Seuss books, but this is the one I like reading to her the least and thank goodness this is also the least requested at bedtime.
I think it's our least favourite because it's basically a book of tongue-twisters & doesn't really have as much of a 'story' to it like Green Eggs & Ham or Cat in the Hat (I use the word story in the loosest way).
So buy it by all means because if your child loves Dr Seuss then they will love this as well, but if you hate tongue-twisters you have been warned :)
on 3 January 2002
I bought this book for my 2 year old for christmas, and he loves it. It's full of tongue twisters, which he thinks is really funny and has even tried to do them himself! I would definately recommend this book for anyone, adults and children alike!
on 28 February 2001
There can be no better way to increase a child's confidence in his use of language than playing games with words.
Dr Seuss' "Fox in Socks" will take children on a voyage. They will giggle with all the words that rhyme. They will laugh at all the words that spill across the pages, and they will start to see that even nonsense words can sometimes be something special.
Children will learn that a few simple words can be put together in endless combinations. They will see that language can have structure and a story can be built upon the simplest of ideas.
Dr Seuss gets us to focus on and practice all the tricky sounds that make up our words and sometimes cause us to be lazy with our speech. He takes us from a "quick trick brick stack" to one made of blocks, chicks and clocks.
Lots of little tongues have trouble pronouncing Ls. Let them loose on Luke Luck likes lakes".
On a more serious note it could be expected that children who occasionally stumble or stutter with their words may benefit from immersing themselves in the wonderful world of Dr Seuss' "Fox in Socks".
The pictures, once you get to know the style, really grow on you. You just have to keep coming back for more.
on 17 March 2013
If you love Dr Seuss and especially if you love Fox in Socks - DO NOT BUY THIS - this is a board book edition and for some incomprehensible reason they have left out half of the pages. Totally and utterly WRONG.
on 30 January 2001
I grew up with this book 30 years ago. I revisited it looking for a present for my 5 year old god son. I was immediately transported back to the same age, I remembered the tongue twisters, remembered my Dad struggling with them first time round and baffled my husband - a Seuss virgin - by reading them aloud to him...I now look forward to a) watching my friend try and read them to her children, (my godson) and b)reading them to him myself.
on 6 September 2001
...even if, like my son, your only 14 months old. He can't really say proper words yet but he's mesmerised by the rhyming words and stories in Fox in Sox. Its his favourite bedtime book without a doubt!!
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2013
This is basically a wonderful, classic, dotty load of tongue twisters from the masterly Dr Suess. I gave it four stars rather than five because i slightly suspect that this is more fun for me to read to the kids than it is for them to listen to, so it's not one they beg me to read to them, more like one I insist on choosing instead of some of the more lame kid's books that are foisted upon me at story time. Maybe once they get to the stage of reading it for themselves they will enjoy it as much as i do.
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2012
As has already been said in several other reviews, this is a book of tongue twisters that make it a fun, but challenging read. It's not a book that would help our son (who is four) learn to read, as there are other Dr. Seuss books which are much better for that. Some children's books are boring to read out aloud and they're more likely to put me to sleep at bedtime than our son. This is certainly not the case with Fox in Socks!

Some Dr. Seuss books aren't that long, but Fox in Socks is about the right length for reading to a pre-schooler in my opinion, as it keeps their attention with the wonderful drawings and rhymes. The only real negative is that sometimes these books feel a bit dated, but as they are still as popular as ever I don't think that matters and certainly not to children.
on 29 December 2013
another lovely addition to our collection but my! this is difficult to read! my daughter is only just over 2 years old and she asks for me to read it all the time but I'm probably going to hide it somewhere for another year.. she doesn't understand it very well yet and it seems like too much effort for me right now :)