on 5 October 2015
OK
on 6 November 2015
A very different Christie novel with spies abounding and the usual twists and turns in the plot that one has come to expect. A very enjoyable, light hearted read.
on 13 September 2015
I was disappointed that it was not a murder mystery as I am not too keen on espionage/spy stories
on 16 July 2012
As a newcomer to Kindle I have found using it and buying for it very straightforward and would recommend it to my friends.
on 25 February 2013
i have liked everything i have ordered from you these agatha christie stories are not her usual fare but excellent all the same
on 20 June 2014
On of ACs good ones Ive started to read it and haven't reached the end yet. I believe some good ones are 4:50 from Paddington,Sleeping Murder, this one and The Clocks, Towards Zero, Destination Unknown, Ordeal by Inoocence
on 15 June 2017
When I first read this book many years ago I thought it far-fetched but reasonably enjoyable. I am now re-reading it, and have discovered that Agatha Christie was a prophetess. One quote stands out: "once people learn to love destruction for its own sake, evil leadership gets its chance." For Young Siegfried read Al Quaeda/ISIS. Suddenly the story doesn't seem so ridiculous any more. Good for you, Agatha!
One person found this helpful
on 3 August 2017
I have been a fan of Christie novels for many years, but had not come across this particular one before. The only reason I cannot give it 5 stars is that I found it a wee bit heavy going in a few places but, overall, it is (as always) well written and presented.
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2016
Unusually, for me, I have had to give up on this as I have no idea what is going on - nor do I care! I love Agatha Christie books, featuring Poirot, and Miss Marple, the cozy murders, but I don't think she should have strayed into espionage territory - leave it to the masters like Fleming, Le Carre etc. It isn't even written in the 30s classic tradition but, strangely in the early 70s. Sir Stafford Nye, the bored diplomat of the story is not particularly interesting and the femme fatale is equally bland. As for the villain, Countess von Waldhausen, the power crazed "spider" hell bent on world domination - well she was just totally unbelievable and quite gross! I got to Part 3 of the book but realised I was losing the will to live so have now moved on to something eminently more interesting.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 September 2013
This is different - this is no crime novel, it's a tale of espionage in a much darker vein than many of Christie's earlier work. As her 80th book, written at the age of 80, it shows a different side of Christie that not as many people know about.

Unfortunately, it's not the most memorable of Christie's novels, and while I've read worse, I haven't read much worse from her. Passenger to Frankfurt is mediocre at best, worth a read if you can't get enough of Christie but otherwise now really worth your time.

Instead, I suggest investigating some of her better books - Poirot in particular appears in most of her greatest works. I recommend Death On the Nile or And Then There Were None. I've got nothing against it as a rule, I was just disappointed after reading it, and I'm not one to be disappointed easily.

If you do decide to proceed, proceed with caution - this is Christie as you might not have seen her before, so set your expectations accordingly.
4 people found this helpful