Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2017
Well worth a read, I'll be buying the next one!
on 25 September 2005
Since reading a couple of the really big names in fantasy (Tolkien, Robert Jordan) I have been hooked on the genre. I'm sure that like me, many people don't know quite where to go next in such (what seemed to me) a saturated genre. This book does exactly that, it gives links to some of the best autors of fantasy writing. The 11 Authors have written short stories (about 50 pages each) that give a glipse into the worlds they created. Most of the stories don't require any previous knowlege of the authors work, it really is just a chance to sell themselves.
I'm not saying every book in here is a classic - Orson Scott Card's story i found particually hard going.
My favorite stories were no doubt Robin Hobb's 'Homecoming' - A story written in the style of a Diary depicting the hardships of a group of exiles. George RR Martain's 'The Sworn Sword' was a fantastic story about 2 bickering kingdoms. I loved this sotry especially because in the course of about 70 pages I grew so fond and attatched to the characters, Dunk and Egg.
So now I have a whole list of books I can't wait to read by authors i know i'm going to love.
If your new to fantasy, or if you have read story by some of these autors, BUY THIS BOOK!
on 6 October 2016
Quick delivery, good condition and good book. Couldn't ask for better!
on 20 January 2009
Just reading through the reviews here makes it obvious just how varied the stories of Legends II are and that there is something there for everyone. That is, something both to love and to hate. Even if you only liked half the stories though, the book would still be very good value for money especially if you buy a used edition. For me, it was a very exciting book because there were several authors I either didn't know, or didn't know the series to which the short story referred.

I had never read anything by Elizabeth Haydon and have just placed an order for one of her books (update: loved it and bought all her other books as well) because the short story got me that interested in them. On the other hand, I had read the 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' series by Tad Williams, but never liked the sound of his 'Otherland' series which is more sci-fi than fantasy in some ways. It has now been added to my 'future purchases' list.

Diana Gabaldon's 'Cross Stich (Outlander) series was one I just could not get into but the short story I found so unusual and such a good read that I have now decided to give the Scot and his time travelling wife another chance as well as keeping an eye out for other Lord John stories (update: DG is now one of my top favourite authors and I have read and am addicted to all her books). I do agree with a previous review that maybe calling her short story 'fantasy' is a bit far fetched, but it does give you a taste of the writing capabilities of this author. (edit: hint of fantasy is probably a better label for the 'Outlander' series).

With GRRM, I loved the Hedge Knight story in Legends I and had been looking on amazon for a sequel. However, the story is published as a comic which I am not very keen on so I was thrilled when I realized that the sequel was part of Legends II.

Someone else mentioned Gaiman as a favourite. For me, his was the least liked contribution which just goes to show the differences in taste that this book covers.

Having now finished Legends I&II, I can't wait for the next anthology. Between the two books, I have added three authors to my 'must have', two to my 'read more of', two have made the 'thanks for taster, but couldn't eat any more' and most of the rest have made the 'always knew you were great' list.

My star ratings are the result of the following breakdown:
How difficult was it to put the book down: extremely difficult = five stars
Would I buy the hardcover of this one: definitely = five stars
Am I likely to read it again: definitely= five stars
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2005
THE STORY:
Eleven stories in which authors add a new tale to their famous series'. Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings. George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. Robert Silverberg's Majipoor. Tad Williams' Otherland. Anne McCaffrey's Pern. Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar. Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages. Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Terry Brooks' Shannara.
WHAT'S GOOD:
This is a good book for people wanting to branch out in the fantasy genre, as it gives a broad range of the talent and series' available to read. Hobb's 'Homecoming' is an exceptionally well written story taking you into the damp and deadly Rain River Wilds and discovering ancient ghosts. Martin, Feist and Silverberg all bring us new stories which make the best of their exceptional talents. Brooks' 'Indomitable' is effectively an epilogue to 'The Wishsong of Shannara' and, in my opinion, is better told than the novel itself. Finally, the surprise gem is Gaiman's story which involves a cult in a remote part of Scotland and blurs the line between man and monster.
WHAT'S BAD:
Most obviously, many of the first 'Legends' anthologies' authors have been replaced with what is effectively a b-list. Card's 'Yazoo Queen' seemed to be just a chance to drop in a few famous historical names, 'Beyond Between' is an awful story by McCaffrey and Diana Gabaldon's contribution, whist a good story, has no right to be in a FANTASY anthology.
on 26 February 2004
on 19 December 2014
excellent book Love short stories every one of the authors was in top form when they rote these kept me entertained throughout the book
on 30 September 2014
some really good short stories in here ( some are actually quite long ) from some really good writers
on 4 September 2003
How wonderful again to see the Legends collection, with a few new names this time. Though I really missed Stephen King's DARK TOWER offering, the addition of Elizabeth Haydon to the roster more than made up for it. Her entry, THRESHOLD, was dark and unapologetically depressing, and yet uplifting at the same time. Likewise Robin Hobb, Neil Gaiman, George R R Martin, Tad Williams and, to my surprise, Orson Scott Card, turned in novellas that made me want to go back and reread all their series.
On the other hand, I could have happily lived without the offerings of Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist, and Robert Silverberg, which all were fairly dull [or in Brooks' case, poorly written.] Anne McCaffrey should have been passed over after her awful turn in the first anthology, and Diana Gabaldon has no place in this field, let alone with this group. At least we were spared another piece of tripe by Terry Goodkind, whose turn in the last book was dreadful.
On balance, it's a good book with moments of greatness and sheer drivel, but the greatness makes it almost worth the price.