Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 February 2006
Once there was a boy and the boy lived stars very much…’
How to Catch a Star was the first book by the young writer and artist Oliver Jeffers. It proved to be a stunning and quite unforgettable debut, winning a number of awards. The story is set around a boy, who loves stars and wishes that he has one of his very own so that they could take long walks together and play hide and seek. So, he decides to do something about it and try to catch one for himself. Unfortunately when he wakes up in the morning, there are no stars to be found, ‘so he waited…and he waited…and ate lunch…and waited. And after dinner he waited some more.’
Finally, just as the sun is setting he eventually sees one and sets about catching it. Unfortunately the trees simply aren’t tall enough and because he happened to use all his petrol on his spaceship last Tuesday whilst travelling to the moon, he finds himself starless once again.
Does he finally get a star? I’m not going to tell you, but it does have a very happy ending.
This book really should not be missed. The colours that Jeffers has used in his illustrations, should have you pulling it off the shelf alone. The story is very simple, and young children will absolutely adore it, as well as parents and adults. Oliver Jeffers has exhibited paintings all around the world, and it’s not hard to understand why. This book is a visual feast and the whole family will enjoy it.
The book is 32 pages long and was first published in June 2004. Jeffers has just released another book called Lost and Found, and is soon to be releasing another later this year.
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Oliver Jeffers is my favourite childrens author. And this book is another fine example of why...

...The story itself is simple, but not patronising. It is a lovely story about a little boy who wants a star, and his quest is detailed in such a humourous way (he couldn't travel in his rocket as he'd used up all the petrol last Tuesday). For the story alone this book would be an asset to any childs story collection - but Oliver Jeffers' books have a little something else - the illustrations!

Oliver Jeffers does his own illustrations, they are unique in style, and genuinely quite beautiful. They make every page turn a joy, and you find yourself immersed in the story, and loving the art you have in front of you.

Your child will love this book - and you will too.
on 11 September 2005
My two year old daughter just loves this wonderful book. Every night we read it and the magic continues... Gorgeous illustrations, a simple heartwarming story and best of all - a happy ending!
on 25 November 2007
This is a lovely book. I was drawn to buy it from the great reviews it had received and I'm truly glad I did. The story is so poignant that I actually feel quite tearful each time I read it and my 34 month old absolutely adores it - I don't think she quite understands the concept of trying to catch star as she told me the other day that she wants to buy the moon in Tesco! However, it's the futility of trying to catch a real star that makes this story so sad but so sweet at the same time - and the ending, without wanting to spoil it, is perfect. The illustrations are just beautiful and the story is brilliant. I can't put this one down. I usually prefer classic children's stories as I can't bare 'political correctness' but this story is wonderful. I can't wait for my 12 month old to get into it too. Oliver Jeffers is a genius.
on 20 January 2010
This was a great discussion story for my class of 6 year olds. Stunning illustrations and a happy story.
on 25 January 2008
amongst one of the most beautiful contemporary children books i have read.
it is the innocent and very basic style in which children are encouraged to dream and reach out for the impossible and get motivated to fuel their imagination with creative thinking and alternative solutions to seemingly unachievable tasks. i consider it the very skill of a good children book to not mock or burst a bubble but offer a beautiful alternative to the unachievable. Oliver Jeffers always has a nice twist in his books and heartbreaking illustrations of the yearnings and hopes of his characters.
every child needs to read or be read a book like this. the only equivalent
i know is a book about a bear who wants to reach the moon. a book that is
decades old and whose title i cant currently recall- but it still sits in a box in the house i grew up in surrounded by other books that shaped the very me- why i think a good choice of book for your children is invaluable- and i believe this one is a very good choice that will hopefully get passed on to as many generations possible.
enjoy.
on 23 November 2009
MY 4 YR OLD BOY LOVES THIS BOOK. IT IS ABOUT A BOY WHO WANTS A STAR AS A FRIEND & HOW HE EVENTUALY CATCHES IT. A SIMPLE ENDEARING STORY & PICTURES.
on 23 August 2004
I read this in a book shop, as it's a children's book it didn't take me long. It's a lovely story of a boy trying to catch a star from the sky. I'm not a child anymore, nor do i have any children but I fell in love with this story and had to buy it!
Could easily become a classic!!
on 3 October 2016
Echoing what others have said. This story, in its paper version, is a favourite around our house, but when I bought the Kindle version to read to my daughter on Skype while I was away one week, parts of the illustrations were forced off of the page. I haven't had this problem with other Oliver Jeffers books, so I can only surmise that whoever was doing the digital editing messed something up.
on 29 December 2008
This was a Christmas present for my son and the set is something we are enjoying together! The book is adorable and fits well under the covers to be read by the light of the flash light that is included! Plus the poster has a star chart on one side and the front cover on the other - PLUS ..glow in the dark stars! Makes for a great adventure in collecting your own stars together!

What a great surprize!