How to Catch a Star
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 2015
Oliver Jeffers is a creative, brilliant author that really shows his amazing imagination through his books. The beautiful child-like innocence and awe we used to have is something he perfectly portrays in his writing and illustrations.

My dad had multiple heart attacks a few years ago and I felt that pain of almost losing someone. I was honestly convinced he wouldn't survive. It was painful and reading this book brought back all those memories. Yet, it also gave me this sense of... you know what? It's hard to describe the feeling it gave me but I know it was a warm, comforting feeling.

It made me realise that while losing someone is, indeed, horrible but shutting yourself away in a protective shell doesn't help the situation nor is it something that person would ever want.

I saw myself as that girl. I live at the seaside, my dad and I are very creative and we are very close. When my dad was in the ICU having his second heart attack, I felt myself shutting down. My heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest and I just wanted it to stop. I would have done the same thing as this girl had my dad died. And I don't think I would have been as lucky as finding someone "small and still curious about the world" like she had.

All in all, it's a beautiful story that I'll forever be reading. I could see this as a good way to teach children about rather heavy subjects such as depression, anxiety, loss and mourning.

When my mum and/or dad dies, I'll be sure to not put my heart in a bottle and will, instead, accept those feelings of loss and pain. I will get through it, and when I do, I'll make sure to treasure every memory I have of them and tell myself that they are not truly dead, because they'll live long in the memories I have of them.

Gosh, I must end this review now before I start bawling my eyes out.
on 15 December 2015
i had to read it twice to get the bereavement theme
i won't share it with my children (i'm worrying my son with SPD will be uncomfortable with the story) but it's been immensely helpful for me
not that i've recently lost someone, not that i am bereaving, but because i relate to the heart-locking concept of the story, i tend to lock my heart so that i don't get hurt, and in the process, i tend to lose all the beauties of the world, the wonders of nature, the giggle of my children, i get obsessed with things that are not as important as the kindness i once had when i had my heart and my soul within me.
on 11 February 2017
This is a simple story, with minimalist illustrations. I read it to 7 to 10 year olds and they enjoyed listening to it. Perhaps it would not be as exciting for a child to read, but my pupils are Austrian, and can manage to understand an easy text. The adult reader can always try to instill more excitement and drama into any story, to which little ones would respond. I have just watched the corresponding DVD, and this enhances the story. Visual images are always effective. I look forward to seeing the response by the same pupils.
on 22 October 2017
I really love Oliver Jeffers books and buy them regularly for the kids in my life. This was a really lovely story but not my very favourite of Oliver Jeffers (I love the series with the penguins) - in saying that my three year old nephew was mesmerised by it and demanded that it be read multiple times in a row.
on 22 August 2016
Really beautiful. I bough this for my friend (age 36) who was going through a tough time and has been through one. The book is stunningly illustrated with a beautiful message. Very touching.
on 16 May 2017
What a beautiful and captivating book…the illustrations are simple but so full of expression. PERFECT as a joint read between Adult and youg child …. a thought provoking book but with a good ending .. HURRAH
on 22 October 2017
A great little read for youngsters at bed. I’ve actually read it this morning to my 5day old. She seemed to enjoy it lol

Can’t wait to read it to her again
on 3 January 2016
A wonderful book for a young child, we've read it so many times, it's lovely and heart-warming. A good way to introduce a concept of loss (death) in a very lovely, clever way that children can understand and apply in other life situations (like a loss of a toy or a pet). I will definitely keep this book for my children and grandchildren, it's a classic and is clever, funny and heart-warming just as you would expect from the author! <3
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 December 2017
My daughter is in love with this book. I very much enjoy it too. It's a great addition to our bed time routine collection.
on 20 December 2016
One of the best books I've ever ordered.
I cried the first time I read it...I've bought it 3 times for different people and I have recommended it to other people I work with in the therapy room xx