Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2017
Very moving, and in a strange way comforting. I have always hated losing our cats, and a neighbour who was recently so afflicted herself, used the book to ease the pain of her grandchildren, who loved her late pet - who actually was named "Mog"- very much.

Judith Kerr has done so much for children's literature and early reading that we should all be grateful to her. An OBE is hardly enough, perhaps she should have been a Dame. (No, not pantomime - the Upper House).
on 19 July 2017
Love these books, author had a lovely approach to tackling what can be a very difficult subject to explain to children. Brought second hand but in good used condition as described.
on 16 March 2017
Excellent - more direct than I thought it would be but that's not a bad thing.
on 18 July 2017
Wonderful book!
on 6 April 2017
It was less about the lovely Mog dying and more about the family getting a new kitten - what kinda message is that?!!!
on 16 April 2017
Fantastic book especially if you want to discuss dying with young children.
on 23 April 2008
Mog is tired, dead tired, so she wants to sleep forever..... You cannot read this without your eyes misting up...Judith Kerr brings to a poignant end her Mog stories with this classic. I love it, it is not preachy or sugary about death. Just straightforward and honest. I also love how we see life goes on afterwards, new things appear and move on. The illustrations are perfect as ever, especially ghost Mog. A great book for dealing with death, but its also a good story in its own right. Perfect for a Mog collection or just to help deal with the death of pet. Beautiful! Sniffle..!
on 27 June 2012
Although having been a fan of the Mog stories for many years, and whilst in the process of building up a 'Mog library' for my cat-loving grandchildren, I am sorry to be sending this title back. It is a beautiful story, and very sensitively portrayed for the most part, but it's the explanation of Mog's death that made me wonder: could the author have found a better way than saying that Mog wanted to sleep for ever? It's a well-documented fact that children can become worried about sleeping, or of loved ones going to sleep, if it means they may never wake up again.
When my children were small and their grandfather died, I was fortunate to find (pre-Internet) the wonderful Badger's Parting Gifts, by Susan Varley. This simple story deals with death in a gentle and constructive way, helping children to move from shock and sadness, to concentrating on positive memories of their loved one. I feel concerned that the demise of Mog may raise more questions than it answers, and am truly disappointed not to be able to say that Goodbye Mog is a perfect book for dealing with the issues surrounding death.
on 23 September 2013
We have a cat that is getting on in years, and since we love the Mog books, I thought that we would pick this up for our 4 year old to have at the ready for when the dreadful event happens. Good thing I read through it first. The writing is fine. It is a little disconcerting to see the Thomas family dressed much more contemporarily- I guess you have to keep up with the times, though. The worst part for me was that Mog is replaced by a new kitten! It is my worst nightmare come to life! When ours leaves this world, I will be fighting replacing him as long as possible. So, do not get this book if that is not your interest.
on 20 December 2014
No doubt the graphics are not Kerr's finest hour, but this treatment of death - or rather of its aftermath, grieving - deserves every praise