on 12 November 2016
Absolutely, utterly, superb.

All the benefits of the book whilst being able to sit and enjoy having it read to you. Superb on a chilly autumn evening with the light low and a glass of something nice - and if you have a log fire as well I'm jealous! Sit back and enjoy all the depth that no movie could ever do justice to. An audiobook gives the full story but sparing both eyestrain and brainstrain (regarding pronunciations), instead letting you sit back and let the story sink in with such a depth of detail and warmth that I actually prefer it to the written word!

Thank you Tolkien for writing it.

And thank you Rob Inglis for bringing the words fully to life.
on 15 November 2016
This has been a long-delayed product, but I found it to be worth the wait. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the slipcase was and it arrived here in the U.S. undamaged, which is not always the case. I had to order this from AmazonUK because AmazonUS cancelled the product, several times. And I wasn't going to wait for them to actually get it in stock. Because frequently many of the Tolkien offerings from AmazonUK never end up here in the U.S. To me, it's well worth international shipping.

As others have mentioned, the first edition of The Hobbit is not within most folks budget and so I was quite excited to see this offered many years ago. I'm not sure I am going to actual pore over it and check to see what the differences between the first edition and subsequent ones (Rateliff's The History of the Hobbit does that). But just to look at it and page through it is worth the purchase price.

It is a wonderful addition to my bookcase!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 November 2014
This book is expensive, a paperback would be a fraction of the price, but it is worth every penny. I had just finished reading the Hobbit to my 9 year old and thought The Lord of the Rings would be a great follow on from that.
I like proper books, I love the feel of them and this one does not disappoint.

Notwithstanding the story, the book is a quality collectors product that should not just be looked at but read.

My only complaint is that it has heft, sitting next to my son for his bedtime story it is not a book I can hold in one hand. I have to rest it against my knees. This is a book to be handed down the generations.
Perfect.
on 27 December 2013
I bought this book along with the Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King Special Editions. The pattern on the spines of the three books match up to form an image of the White Tree of Gondor - it certainly looks good on the bookshelf!

This book is presented in a purple/red coloured cloth bound hardcover that looks both attractive and durable. Inside, the first thing you come across is a beautiful map of Middle Earth in black and white (and red) before the story continues. I won't say anything about the story itself as we all know about it and there are in depth reviews floating around on the web (both critical and applauding!). This review is for this particular edition of the book, and I think it is fantastic.

It's worth noting that this "special edition" is available as part of a box set with the other two books in the trilogy, along with a version of the Hobbit.
on 1 July 2015
I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet so I will avoid saying anything in the story, but the book itself is well made and although paper back, I found it quite durable. The writing was easy to read and the chapters are well spaced. I am now looking forward to reading the third book in the series! I will say one thing however about the story; when I started reading the books, it was after watching the movies by Peter Jackson and I heard that you either like the books or the movies and rarely both, I used to think rather naively perhaps "Well if the movies are based off the books is there a difference?" Well after reading the first book and just finished reading this one I can say there are certainly more details in the books as compared to the movies. I won't say more for fear of spoiling the story but if you have watched the movies, give the books a try too you may be pleasantly surprised, I know I was/am :)

Now I'm off to read the third book! Happy reading all!
on 22 February 2016
This review is for the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt deluxe editions of Lord of the Rings single volume, and box set of LotR and The Hobbit.
If you want a good looking set of these books without having to splash the cash on special editions, these are the editions for you. Leatherette covers and a handy size for the box set (similar to the small hardback editions of the Hobbit, etc), crisp printing on quality paper - not laser printer paper - that means the small font size is still readable, and the maps are in some ways better than in larger reprint editions. These are straight down-sizes of the standard HMH/HC books, so the pagination carries across also.
The single volume is a little cumbersome due to weight - again, proper paper - but it has a certain olde worlde feel to it as well, that adds to the reading experience, with a suede-effect grey cover..
On the negative side, the workmanship, while pleasing to eye and touch, is a little sub-standard in places; leaked glue from the spine on the box set, and some concerns about whether the spine will last on the single volume, for instance, but it is far outweighed by the sheer delight of these two editions, and the affordable prices.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 September 2015
Beware if you are buying this 2004 hardcover edition, having read the product description and expecting it to be a 3 volume boxset.
This hardcover edition is a single volume print, and l think the description refers to a paperback 3 volume version.
It is frustrating that there are so many versions and yet the reviews are all lumped together on the Amazon website.
Although disappointingly only one volume this is still not bad value for money. Size wise it is slightly easier to handle for reading than the single volume 1991 edition with the Alan Lee illustrations.
However, the print is smaller and some may find it too small to read comfortably, even though the book is attractively presented on white paper pages. There are only the original maps and in-text rune illustrations (some in red print) in this 50th anniversary special edition, ie no additional illustrations. The text has been emended in consultation with Christopher Tolkien to reflect his father's original wishes which were apparently sometimes over-ridden by the publishers!
In summary, might suit if you want a single volume hardcover edition and are not bothered by fairly small print or the lack of additional illustrations.
Otherwise, if looking for something easier to handle and read you may want to go for a 3 volume set, although a new 3 volume hardcover set will probably set you back considerably more than this edition.
Needless to say the book itself is a masterpiece which is well worth reading if you are not daunted by the length of it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 December 2017
This book is great quality for the price. Buy this if you would like to read the Lord of the Rings but do not have a particular large budget. Came in perfect condition, with no complaints. This is perfect for those who would like to further indulge in the Tolkien series beyond the movies. As someone who had only seen the movies, the book opened me up to new things which were left out in the movie so it is certainly a book to read for those Lord of the Rings fans. One thing is that the pages are quite thin so they can be torn if not dealt with care, however I have not torn my copy of this book.
on 21 January 2015
I've been a follower of Tolkein for more decades than I care to remember. He took more care when writing his tales, reading forward and backward, to remove all kinks. His in-depth knowledge of Old English and Old Norse legends provided the basis of his stories, to wonderful effect.

But you already know that.

This boxed set is incredible value. It's a super gift for young and old and all those in between. But it's the best gift for yourself.
on 24 November 2017
What can I say, which hasn't already been said. A classic. A touch gutted that my nine year book devouring daughter thinks it's old fashioned, weird and boring - but I'm sure she'll eventually love it after I've forced her to sit through a reading for the twentieth time. That or she'll just learn to say that she loves it in order to convince me to stop.