Customer reviews

on 9 June 2006
My five year old son loved this book, as did I, and have happily read it a few times. My son is captivated with 'witches', but this is the most creative and endearing witch story we have read. It is not full of stereotypes, leaves space for the imagination, and honours childrens thoughts and feelings about the universe. This is a warm and compassionate story that I believe, highlights two different attitudes to life. One can be slightly cynical and afraid, or one can have an open and light heart. It shows kids its worth keeping an open mind, and that can only be a good thing!
on 8 January 2006
A wonderfully moving story, my children love it nearly as much as i do ;-) Jenny Nimmo can write a lot in a few sentances, letting out a lot of the story in a short space. A firm favorite in our home!
on 14 December 2011
I read The Witch's Tears to my multicomposite P1-7 class and they absolutely loved it - even the oldest readers. They were begging me to read the next chapter! Emerging and confident readers would manage to read this on their own. It also inspired lots of writing lessons from prediction to character descriptions. The whole concept of witches crying crystals is ingenious and you are never quite sure whether the Witch is a good witch or a bad witch or even a witch at all - you're kept guessing and that's a good thing! I've spoken to others about this book and I don't think I've found anyone who hasn't enjoyed it!
on 6 November 2013
Having read some time ago to a class of seven year olds (the book is marketed at those aged seven to nine) who were totally captivated by the story I re-read it thinking it a perfect Halloween read for younger readers.

The story of what happens the stormy night Mrs Scarum turns up, the clocks in the Blossom household lose their rhythm and Mr Blossom fails to telephone home. This isn't your usual take on the whole witch myth in that Mrs Scarum is hardly your average witch if indeed she is a witch at all. And its this not knowing whether she is or isn't that is part of the books overall charm.

A refreshing take on an old genre. As an adult I enjoyed the story which I thought had a wide scope for children to use their imaginations, for them to make up their own minds. What I wasn't so keen on was the illustrations which was a shame given how appealing I found the front cover.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper.

The Witch's Tears (First Modern Classics)
on 24 September 2010
Jenny Nimmo is an excellent writer for children. My son and daughter both enjoyed this book. Small chapters for bitesized bed time reading and an exciting story with just the right mix of language to increase a childs vocabulary.
on 22 July 2010
Enjoyed by year 5 & 6 pupils who are just starting to appreciate more mature storylines
on 14 November 2015
Another impressive story from Jenny Nimmo. I am an avid fan of her work and now my daughter is too. Great narrative and believable, adorable characters. Love it!
on 25 August 2015