Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2014
This book was a seminal read for me 10 years ago... and still is today! Lirael is a beautiful sequel to Sabriel, and the character Lirael is so relateable, especially with the isolation experienced in the beginning. It's a touching read which I couldn't put down because you're very much on the journey with Lirael. I would fully recommend this book to any Garth Nix fans or to anyone who loves a good book filled with adventure, friendship and magic. I love the whole Old Kingdom series, but Lirael is definitely my favourite (not to mention one of my all time favourites!).
on 29 August 2011
I was wary of reading Lireal as I'd enjoyed reading Sabriel so much. I was delighted to find that the characters were even better and the story every bit as gripping. I especially liked the fact that the characters were on a 'journey' without it being obvious and cliche ridden, and had believable flaws (self pity, cowardice, vanity etc) which made them real (rather than being introduced for the sake of not being perfect). I enjoyed the story arc, which didn't go in the direction I expected. A fantastic read and one I was really sad to finish.
on 28 February 2004
I bought this book as a christmas prezzie for my mum before reading Sabriel (the prequel to Lirael).She hasn't even picked it up yet and I finished it today.
After reading Sabriel I was so glad that Lirael was around, I was just itching for more and I still am! I can't wait for Abhorsen (the third in the trilogy), I want more of Nix, he's got me hooked! If you liked Sabriel don't hesitate to buy this, you won't be disappointed! I hope Nix keeps up the good work, he's an amazing author.
Beware, Nix is highly addictive!
on 6 March 2004
I felt that this book was not as good as the first one, although it was still excellent. Liraels home is well created and detailed, as is her character. There is basically no romance in this book though, which was a dissapointment and Sabriel and Touchstone only appeared in the book for a little while.
The plot was good, though I did wish Lirael had some more human companions. All in all I'd say that this book is worth reading although it does not compare to Sabriel.
on 22 August 2014
This is simply the best book I have ever read, especially for the first half. The Library of the Clayr came alive to me as I read, and both Lirael and the Disreputable Dog quickly became two of my all time favourite characters. Although I was sad to see them leave the library, this sadness didn't last long, as the adventure past that point was perfect (although Sam annoyed me a little, which probably wasn't his fault, I just wanted to return to Lirael and the Dog.)
on 22 August 2005
A very good book. It is entralling and mystical at the same time.
A fantasy come adventure.
N.B. Read Sabrial first.
on 16 September 2003
Lirael is set 20 years after Sabriel, and follows the destiny of a misfit clayr called Lirael, and Sabriels son Sameth. The book is much darker, and less of a childrens book than Sabriel, although i'm sure it will be enjoyed by adults and children alike. The story is bigger than before, more in depth, and ends with a cliffhanger that will keep you on the edge of your seat until Abhorsen (the final book) is released.
on 4 August 2010
I've already said this about the first book, Sabriel, but it is still true about this book. Fast-paced page-turner. The storytelling quality is very compelling. Nix gives us characters which will stay with a reader long after one has finished reading the book. World building is beautifully woven that a reader can suspend disbelief effortlessly. Simply masterpiece.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2010
If you like supernatural fantasy you'll love these books. This is the second book in the series, so makes sure you read the other one first. Easy to read and holds your attention. The only trouble is, you don't want to put it down. Garth Nix has a great way with words. Escape from your everyday stresses and strains and join his characters and loose yourself.
on 21 January 2004
Some middle books of trilogys can be poor and not very interesting, but Lirael is fantastic. Garth Nix carries on the story really well by introducing a lot of new characters, but by also keeping the old characters going. I recommend this book for any one who has read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials. I really enjoyed it.