Customer reviews

Sabriel (Abhorsen Trilogy, Bk. 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 December 2013
Firstly: bare in mind i have give this book to at least 3 people as a present, It's certainly one of my favourites and sparks a fire for reading similar in the genre.

Known now more for his world with Arthur and the "keys to the kingdom" series; i feel that this title Presents slightly more adult themes herein, and one moment of nudity that leaves you giggling at the main characters thought process and realiseation (delt with in a tasteful and appropriate way), this one sits firmly in the young adult section in my head (14+).

With his usual deft prose, Nix weaves a wprod parallel to our own and add just a hint of the magicks and mysticism. It stays true to its own rules throughout and is a delightful read. Exciting, sad, heartwarming, adventurous, thrilling, occasionally scary and intriguing: it ultimately had me mentally cheering on the Aborshen to pull though and win!

It is definitely my favourite in the series, and be sure to read "the creature in the case" as an epilogue.
on 20 June 2017
I loved this book and the series! I'm a fan of fantasy and historical books and this was recommended to me by a friend.

It was a great book, really unique world and characters with a strong female lead!
I think you'll enjoy this if you like series such as 'The Black Magician', 'The Night Angel' and 'The Name of The Wind,'
on 8 October 2017
Excellent book, arrived well packaged and prompt delivery. THANK YOU
on 17 May 2017
A fantastic read. Couldn't put it down.
on 26 September 2017
Good item
on 22 October 2017
Read this as a young teenager and it popped into my head a few months ago for some reason. Decided to re-read it as a 26 year old and it has stood the test of time. A solid, young adult, fantasy novel.
on 2 December 2016
Great story - Nix always leads me into the worlds he creates
on 18 July 2017
I bought this book to read with my Niece and we both loved it.
on 28 February 2017
This is one of my favourite books, great start to a highly imaginative and engrossing tale, to which another book has recently been added. I actually enjoyed this series so much that, having originally read it in paperback way back when, decided to purchase on Kindle. BUT...very very disappointingly it will not download and keeps giving me the message that a software update is needed. Given it's the beginning of the series, it's kind of a crucial point in the story! I updated my software, even went so far as to delete my purchase and pay AGAIN to re-purchase, such was my desire to re-read this great story. It still won't download. SORT IT OUT PUBLISHERS!!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 November 2017
Read on in the knowledge that my two star review is definitely in the minority. But, for various reasons I'll come on to, I just could not connect with this book.

The idea is pretty cool - Sabriel and her dad are Necromancers. But instead of the usual Necromancer role, these guys can bring back people/dead rabbits/babies from the dead by chasing down their spirits (somehow, but this isn't particularly well explained). So that's how Sabriel knows that her father, a particularly gifted man of his craft, has gone missing. It's difficult for Sabriel to know if he's trapped in the land of the dead, or is actually dead, but that suspence will keep you guessing whilst she tries to find out.

Sadly that's about the only thing that did spike some interest in me. Because the remainder of the book, despite being exceptionally well written in terms of construction and dialogue, was quite boring. Sabriel is good at everything, requiring very little intervention from any secondary characters to excel at something or find a clue. What this also means is that there is no character progression - you wouldn't catch Harry Potter becoming a perfect wizard in one book would you? I like to see some struggle, some character growth in order to become invested in characters and there's very little.

That also pretty much hits the nail on the head too - I didn't really LIKE Sabriel as a main character. She's very logical, which is often nice because it allows for us to totally grasp what she's thinking. But the story and plot twists, particularly what Sabriel might do, are of no surprise because of that - I think it was missing the subtle humour element that I've come to really enjoy in YA Fantasy.

To be honest, I knew within the first few chapters that this book wasn't for me - you know when you're just not meshing with the protagonist but you keep going in case it gets better? Particularly with so many rave reviews - I always think I should keep plodding through because the amazing bit must be just around the corner. So maybe this book just didn't work for me; it clearly does for many others. And maybe if I had read this as a younger reader, or a reader newer to fantasy and magic, I would have loved it. But it was like a dry biscuit as opposed to a hobnob. And nobody ever picks the dry biscuit over the hobnob.