Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 September 2017
Amazing Book
on 31 December 2013
I'm reading the books for the first time and in the order they were written and for too long the books have been devoid of magic and mystery. Good book
on 30 March 2007
Personally I felt the conclave of shadows books that precede this are the wealest of the Midkemia novels. Not that they are bad but merely average, here Feist takes the story he has been building slowly and changes up a gear. It feels more epic, there is a greater sense of urgency and more importantly a ripping yarn.

If you have never read one of Feists books stop reading now and look up magician, this is not the place to start. It is familiar territory, action, intrigue, magic and murder. The usual staples are here as are many familiar faces, while I make this sound like feist by numbers I should say that part of the appeal of reading an ongoing saga is the familiarity with the world and its populas.

If you have read feist before you won't be disappointed.
on 23 September 2005
I looked forward to this book the way I do every September since I discovered Magician. Although I was slightly disappointed with the last Trilogy produced (Conclave series), I now realise that it was a clever way to introduce new characters into the series without disturbing the final plot, which continues with the start of the Darkwar Saga.
From a somewhat cynical point of view, it can be argued that some of the books have been planned to coincide with this series, which by sounds of it will mark the end of the Pug/Nalar affair that has been simmering through the various books since the Riftwar. For example, Price of the Blood can be construed as only being a showcase to introduce Keshian politics and intrigue, where as the entire conclave series can be viewed as setting up the characters involved in said showcase, thus avoiding the need for lengthy segments of characterisation and allowing the author to get straight to the main story.
As always Feist delivers a stunning plot and sequence of events that keep the reader, (well kept me) hooked from the first page, and continues with the stunning characterisation that has become his trademark.
An excellent read, can't wait to see where the series takes us now (looks like its back to Kelewan)
on 16 September 2005
Although not listed as such, I would consider this book to be the fourth book in the Conclave of Shadows series.
While Feist chooses to introduce yet more people to his series, the former main characters of the other Conclave of Shadows books are also used, but the story appears to be Feist' main goal now, and not the individual characters.
This makes many of them slightly two-dimensional, but more than good enough to fully appreciate the story.
The Talnoy and the Dasati are not forgotten as they battle in the intrigues of Kesh,
and the battle against The Nameless God and his minion Leso Varen continues.
The next installment might very well take us back to Kelewan, not much used since the Empire series.
Feist is still continuing the story that began with Magician, tryining out new techniques, but he is still one of the best fantasy writers out there. This is a must-read for all Feist fans.
on 31 August 2008
This is the first of Feist's new trilogy, and as with all of his previous works this is a brilliant work of Fantasy Fiction, now for a bit of the story.

In the first novel of this trilogy we see Pug and his usual allies with a few new faces battling the evil forces of the fallen God and his mage Varen and the deadly NightHawk assassins as they try to bring the Empire Of Great Kesh to the bring of civil war, and all that stand in there way are a few brave souls, Pugs two sons and their friends, we also see faces from the past, Eric Von Darkmoor, Talwin Hawkins and and the former Duke Of Olasko Kaspar doing battle to save the world from dangers of the dark God and his minions.

As always Feist's work is brilliant, the only down side for me was that my favourite character Eric Von Darkmoor was only included in a few pages , I hope in the following books he will make more of an appearance, other than that an amazing new story from what promises to be an amazing new trilogy, I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

I hope this review was of some help to you.
on 23 September 2005
Although the book is presented as a new start of a triology I would say this is the 4th book in the serie.
Flight of the nighthawks not only brings back the evil assasins guild but a whole range of caracters that we have seen in the various books written by this great writer.
I enjoyed the many flashbacks to long dead caracters such as "Jimmy the Hand" and places like Crydee. It just reminded me on how much I have enjoyed the books.
The story is has a lot of pace which doesnt leave much room to introduce new caracters properly in a sence that I never had the feeling I knew the caracters. Hopefully this will be resolved in the following books as I expect most caracters to be back in full action.
The book takes you deep into Kesh, a hint from Kelewan, more insight in Stardock and if you have finished the book you can expect more to come from Kelewan further in the series.
Not 5 stars this time as I really think the next books have potential for a lot more exiting plots, battle scenes and caracter development.
nevertheless a book that you can start just after diner and finish in the early hours!
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2005
Feist has run hot and cold over the years. His early work was utterly brilliant. Some of the stuff in the middle hit lows of the decidedly mediocre, but since Talon of the Silver Hawk Mister Feist's star has been in the ascendant. What better way to climb right back to the top of the heap than with a brand new series that draws heavily upon the world we all know and love.
Is it a new series? Well, technically yes it is, although it is fair to say that it follows directly on from the King of Foxes. However, the plot of this new book seems to have grown. All of a sudden Feist has developed a new plot for his enormous playground of a world and these two things have taken him back to his brilliance of old. Everyone - and I mean everyone - makes an appearance in this book. Whether you favorite character was Erik Von Darkmoor, Thomas or Pug of Crydee, Tal Hawkins or, well, whoever, you'll come across them here. As if that wasn't enough, you'll be all over the place from Novidus to the Kingdom to Kesh. Better still, there is a strong inference that we'll be spending some more time in the Empire of Tsuranuanni in the next book.
In short, this is a good book that is well worth buying. It's a pleasant reminder that Feist is probably the best creator of Fiction/Fantasy out there.
on 14 August 2006
It's back to Midkemia again for the first in a new series from Raymond E Feist. This loosely follows on from his last series, containing many of the same characters. However, Feist almost seems to think he will sell copies without giving his full attention. The plot is very basic and lacks the complexity that is prevalent in most of his other novels. Perhaps this is because so much of Midkemian history and culture has been explored before. Perhaps the sequel will see a return to this depth as the world of the Dasati is explored. We can only hope. To be blunt, a good story, but that is it. If you want an easy read, this is for you. If you want to be challenged I suggest you turn to Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Also, if you are a collector of Feist novels, this has been published in a different format, with the overall size being very much altered. It just doesn't fit with the rest, which I found quite annoying. A slight blip from a master of his genre. Let's hope for a return to form with his next release.
Nick
on 12 September 2006
Flight of the Nighthawks is just not of the same calibre as his previous work. It's easy reading certainly but actual plotlines seem to be have been reprised from previous books and stretched out very thinly. I'm disappointed that Mr Feist thinks his readers will continue to put up with work of this quality. His problem seems to be that he has a three book deal with a one book plot, so we will have this and another book of the same minimalist scale and ambition before we actually get anywhere. Please, no more crawling around in sewers or young striplings coming of age, we've had enough. And Leso Varen, kill him already. He's had more comebacks than the Rolling Stones and he's less entertaining.