on 27 June 2013
arrived on time and looks as pictured do like that, hate it when a book look completely different,
looks good as iv flicked thro yet to read
on 23 July 2013
When I first started reading this book I was really excited, although it was second hand, it was in excellent condition, and the book was much bigger and thicker than I expected. When I read the introduction, I fell in love with it and thought this was going to be the best book I had ever read about witchcraft. Everything she talks about in the introduction is fantastic, but slowly and surely little things start to crop up which disappoint me. At first she mentioned that Wicca was "the only religion in the western world that worships a goddess as well as a god" and I thought this might have been an accident, perhaps this isn't what she meant, because surely she knew that there are many other neopagan religions that worship goddesses and gods. But she goes on to repeat the statement as though she is oblivious to other goddess worshipping westeners. She then begins talking about quantum physics and subatomic particles, which really wasn't explained very well. She continued to use these sciencey sounding catch phrases throughout the book. She also refers to Wicca as "the Old Religion" and states that the Threefold Law is not "traditionally Wiccan" as though Wicca is something much more ancient than the 20th century. The more I read, the more annoyed I got.

Despite several discrepancies she does have some good advice on experiencing your spirituality, going out into Nature and feeling the wind in your hair, the rain on your skin, the warmth of the sun, and not just staying in doors with your safe little circle. She asks us to step outside and get to grips with reality. She suggests that tools and elaborate rituals aren't needed at all once you are able to train your attention. She also explains divination as not just finding out your future, but listening to your subconscious, listening to your inner divine inspiration to guide you. She also gives you lots of interesting life stories which add some context to her opinions, and are quite entertaining. Overall this book was not too bad.
on 23 April 2002
This book is definately worth buying. It is written in the same friendly, easy-to-read style as her first book (although you do not have to have read 'Book of Shadows' to understand and enjoy this one). She explains all about The Craft in an down-to-earth style, retells personal anecdotes, as well as giving basic and advanced instructions on how to practise the tasks she discusses.
This has quickly become a favourite on my bookshelf, and I would recommend it to everyone. Whether you are a beginner or experienced, it is definately a book worth owning yourself.
on 7 November 2008
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Phyllis has a beautiful, inspiring writing style, and she includes just enough anecdotes to make the book personal to her without it being exclusive of everyone else. This book is a goldmine of information, and the exercises are designed for both beginners and intermediate practitioners alike. Always respectful and never patronising, Phyllis has written a book that anyone interested in the natural, green side of witchcraft simply must read. She places the emphasis of the Craft on the connection to the Divine, instead of the slavish adherence to principles laid out in earlier Wiccan works that you see elsewhere, and I can't help but admire her for that.
on 16 September 2001
Once again another fabulous book from Phyllis Curott hits the stores! Following her memorable Book of Shadows in which she shared her spiritual journey onto the Goddess tradition,this lawyer and Wiccan High Priestess offers us an incredibly helpful guide to both beginners and those experienced in the Craft. By offering guidance rather than a set "how to" list, she encourages her readers with her rich, natural and highly accessible writing style and intelligence to trace their own spiritual path. Filled with her own experiences and with a relaxed sense of humour, this book has provided me with the long awaited enjoyable guide to making magic that I have been searching for for quite some time. I was also fascinated to read of the ethics behind the practice of Witchcraft which Ms Currot tackles in a very thought provoking way. So I will be keeping this book to hand at all times as I begin my own quest to enleash the power within, worship, and work for the improvement of myself, my environment and the planet.
on 21 November 2001
Having read Phyllis Curotts other book 'Book of Shadows' I was really looking forward to this and I wasn't disappointed. although some of the exercises I have used previously, I didn't feel like I was going over the same old ground, I was being reminded of some of the things I had forgotten.
There was also a lot of new material for me and I am in full agreement with the author with regards to the threefold law.
I would recommend this to anyone, in fact, I have already bought three copies, one for myself and two as gifts.
on 7 February 2002
Phyllis Currotts second book was no disapointment! Her fist book 'Book of Shadows' was the trigger book which led me on the path I now find myself on. That was autobiographical this book however speaks untold sense , gives great exercises for both beginners and to those who have some experience. She has put into words many views I that I couldnt quite extrapolate myself! an absolute must !
on 28 October 2001
Personally, I found the author to be a bit too preachy in this book, but then again an author's book IS really about the author's opinions, isn't it!?
Anyway, one of the things I found disturbing was the author's dismissal of the existence of family traditions or hereditary traditions in witchcraft. She states that many people "claim" they are hereditary witches, and the author strongly infers that such claims are false. I found this to be insulting to several well-known and highly respected authors in the Craft Community who do present themselves as hereditary witches.
The author also states that any tradition incorporating sexual intercourse in its initiation rituals should be "reported to the Wiccan community." First of all, there are several traditions that consider sexual union to be a sacrament, and I don't believe that this author or anyone else has the right to dictate the "rules" to others. Secondly, what's this "report it to the Wiccan community" stuff!? Is there a 1-800-THE-WICCA number out there there!? And exactly WHO and WHAT is this central committee anyway!? I'm sorry but this attitude is very dangerous.
The author presents chapters titled "Witchcraft without Rules" and gives lip service to supporting the diversity of beliefs and practices in modern Witchcraft, however it is clear that in this book she sets herself up as the judge of what is, and who is, authentic. This I found to be quite disturbing.
Now, to end on a more positive note, the non-preachy material in the book is fairly reflective of the basic elements of practicing modern witchcraft. For those readers who can get past the author's self appointed authority, this is not a bad beginner's book for a very general overview of the practice of modern witchcraft. However, the so-called "advance techniques" in this book are NOT, to put it simply.
This is one of those "take it with a grain of salt" books so be prepared.
on 4 August 2016