Customer reviews

on 22 October 2001
This is a lovely heart-warming book which has become a firm favourite with my two year old son. He likes joining in with the story especially the part where Katerina thinks that the other goose has come out of the car. From an adult's point of view it stands up to repeated reading. The only minor criticism is that it portrays life as it would have been in Britain of the 1950s or 1960s.
on 24 July 2013
My 7-year old loved this book so much I couldn't get her to return it to her school library. I ended up buying an excellent condition second hand one from Marketplace so that she would finally relinquish the school's one.
Personally, I think the story is a little too young for her now (it's very much on a par with The Tiger who came to Tea - which she also still loves), but what can I say, there's obviously something about the story and/or the illustrations which just has her enthralled.
on 16 June 2009
My four-year-old thinks this is the funniest book ever. Like the Mog books, the 70/80's style illustrations are charming and easy for a child to relate to. The writing is well-paced and a joy to read aloud.
on 23 June 2010
I love Judith Kerr. Her simple style coupled with brilliantly beautiful illustrations make all her books winners! My 5 year old loves this story and I do too! A great story for sharing together.
on 25 March 2012
I bought this book and several others by judith Kerr after reading the enchanting 'Tiger who came to tea' which is just a fantastic magical story which my 2 year old loves and I must have read to her hundreds of times. 'The other goose' by contrast is boring and the story is pretty lame. It's about a lone and lonely goose that sees it's reflection in a car door (a daft concept) and thinks it is another goose. The story is incomprehensible to 2 - 3 year olds and by the time a child is old enough to get the story they'll be too mature to be entertained by it. I couldn't keep her interested beyond the first page. It's hard to believe it is the same author. A truly talented author would be incapable of producing such garbage. Definitely buy the tiger that came to tea but don't bother with this one. Mine is going straight to the school jumble sale together with 'night at the zoo' various totally forgettable stories about a cat called Mog.