Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2016
I had a lot of fun with this book – it was the first time in a long time that I read an Agatha Christie book, and I’ve always loved her work. In this book, a murder is announced in the local paper, and the residents of a small village all converge on a house to see what happens. Sure enough, a murder occurs.

As always, with Agatha Christie, there are a lot of twists and turns along the way, although this was a rare case in which I was able to figure out who did it before the end of the book, although I didn’t know the motive until it was revealed. But in many ways, that doesn’t matter too much – it was still a lot of fun, and it’s all about the journey, rather than the destination.

One of the other interesting things about this book was the setting – it’s set in a time that’s gone by, and books like this are a great way to get a nostalgic feel for what the world was like before you were a part of it. There are better Agatha Christie books, but not many – so what are you waiting for? Read this!
on 4 November 2015
Excellent Agatha Christie Old fashioned murder mystery. Used to read these many years ago. Nice to have a bit of well written story even though it is somewhat dated. Nevertheless, a jolly good read and I hope you guess who the culprit is. If you want an easy read I recommend Agatha Christie.
on 13 August 2013
Classic Christie. Thoroughly enjoyable. The characters are well drawn and funny, the story keeps you guessing til the very end. Reminded me why I always liked Agatha Christie and why she's still going strong today.
on 3 July 2010
This book is the best Miss Marple book I have read. The twist is very good and keeps you guessing until the very end. A murder happens within the first few chapters, getting you hooked in immediately.
on 22 December 2013
What can I say. Agatha Christie does not really need any recommendation. Her reputation goes before her and the Miss Marple Stories. Wonderful book.
on 23 February 2017
ms marple hardly exixts in this book! some cameo appearances here and there, one forgets this is a ms marple book,, thén right at the end a story is told showing she mut have been there but us as readers, must have missed them!
plot is weak, clues are not so clever. first and surnames are randomly used so one looses traces of who is who.
truly hard to believe this is a genuine AC book.iti made me loose faith ....now who should i read?
on 5 November 2012
An excellent crime classic, very enjoyable from start to finish. The Kindle delivered it's usual nice crisp pages, so it was clear and pleasant to read: even without my glasses on! It is easy to see why Agatha Christie has the reputation she does. I had only recently watched the Joan Hickson version of this from DVD, a fascinating comparison - and while the TV iteration was excellent, I much preferred the book!
on 23 November 2013
Enjoyed the book, haven't read one of hers for years. Was surprised at her style and use of language which now seems so dated, but even that makes for a comforting read. Television rather takes away your own mental pictures of what the scene looks like. Even worse, obviously having watched a Miss Marple story I knew who the murderer was as soon as I started reading the book!
on 29 July 2008
Only 8 shillings and sixpence! What an absolute bargain.

A very canny idea from Harper Collins - release Christie's books as they first appeared. Not only do you get the post-war, English murder mystery we expect but we get it in a version that compliments the book's contents.

I know I'm judging a book by it's cover but why not when that has to be the main selling point (or buying point) for this particular edition. The dust cover's review of 'this latest crime story' and 'the most recent detective novel,' recreate the excitement of a new release when the novel itself is nearly sixty years old. The book, quite simply, takes you back.

As for the story itself - well - very few people can have a doubt about what they are getting there. And if you don't know please do something about it quickly. This is a good novel (Christies 50th) with the author knowing every trick going. Motives and deception are everywhere and it takes Miss Marple to make sense of it all. And 'No' I didn't have a clue who it was until the end. What more could you want?
on 29 May 2016