on 17 March 2000
When we first open the pages of weaveworld we are greeted with an obsorbing opening "nothing ever begins" and from then on we are brought with Cal Mooney on a quest that we all share in our hearts. We find the character so close to our own hearts that we often feel like it is us there on the printed page and not a fictitious character. Suzanna is the typical modern woman, whom we all know in a part of our lives, but the most beautiful thing about this book is the discription of the characters, whether it is Cal, Mimi or Immacolata and her sisters. We can taste the dread of these characters and rejoice in their triumphs. We fall in love with the likes of Jericho and hate Shadwell because not only of the responses of the characters to them, but the lyrics used in this magnificent piece of prose let us not only make our own assumptions of their characters and their flaws, we also see true sufferring and the range and depth of the human spirit,through the mediums of love, hate and religion and belief. this is an incredible book, that deserves countless re-readings, purely because in every re-reading (that I have done, and there has been plenty)we find an new layer of fabric, a new thread of light and a new decoration of emotion that we missed previously. Rich and diverse with plot and imagination, Weaveworld is a masterpiece of the English language, of the triumph of a daring novelist who pushes us to the edge of our imaginations and forces us to watch. Utterly brilliant and beautiful,Weaveworld should be compulsory reading for all those who love the language of the mind.
on 29 December 2007
This was the first Clive Barker book I ever read and is still my favourite Barker.

The premise behind the book is that a magical world has been mystically woven into an intricate carpet to be kept safe in our world under the guardianship of a trusted keeper. The problem is that said guardian ages and becomes stale and senile in our wonderless world of tedium and the carpet is forgotten. Enter Cal, an unlikely and unwilling hero who grudgingly assumes responsibility for the forgotten world and is hurled headlong into a wild chase of terrifying magic and creatures of great power who will stop at nothing to destroy the carpet and anyone who gets in their way.

The juxtaposition of a very grey and dully described modern-day Liverpool and a blindingly bright world of enchantment and wonders is cleverly handled. New characters drop in one-by-one and jockey for position of importance with each chapter, and you can never be sure whose side they're on! Each person is written with depth and real motive, and sympathy for the Devil is opposed by frustration at the occasional selfishness of those who should know better!

The book does, however, go to sleep a little in the middle and the pace slackens off almost to a standstill. It is almost as if Barker felt he needed to pause for breath after the headlong sprint of the first few chapters and some people I have spoken to lost patience and gave up at this point. Big mistake. This is not a hack 'n' slash or a high fantasy story, it is an intelligent and adult work of a wild and sometimes disturbing imagination that can dazzle, delight, sicken and arouse in equal measure. Do not buy this if you prefer your novels to be mental chewing-gum or spoon-fed cliches, Weaveworld will challenge you and take your grown-up imagination to places it hasn't visited since childhood.
on 7 July 2000
After I finished my GCSEs a few weeks ago, I thought I would go out and buy a book to pass the time. I chose Weaveworld. It was the first book by Clive Barker that I had read and I can assure you it won't be my last. All my doubts and preconceptions about flying carpets were shattered after a few pages. This book travels at a lightning pace and always leaves you hanging on. Barker's characters are very strong and believable, he does not use stereotypes. He also seems to be of the opinion that characters need not be black or white, but can be grey.
on 25 February 2002
Weaveworld, represents Clive Barker's departure from the'New King of Horror'. Despite the fact that in a few places, the imagery is so vivid and effortlessly imagined with the help of Barker's prose, that however divine or diabolical the chapter gets, it never fails to do its job.
The plot is as complex as any page turner will allow, with all characters 'fleshed out' (for want of a better description). Barker's speciality for plots and sub-plots, however is second only to the philosophical insights that really carry this, and other Clive Barker books also.
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2006
Clive Barker's 2nd full-length novel marks the authors first real shift away from the horror genre and into outright fantasy, with this tale of a magical world hidden in a carpet. While the novel starts with a faintly ludicrous premise Barker does well to capture the readers attention with arresting ideas, creating a fast-moving adventure with plenty of bizarre imagery. While I adored this book as a teenager however, re-reading it nearly 20 years later reveals it's not entirely flawless, with Barker's characterisations failing to live up to his imaginative settings, and some plot strands and characters seem to be introduced then forgotten about by the author. Still, `Weaveworld' marks an important step forward for Barker as a novelist, and is undoubtedly a step-forward from `The Damnation Game'. Barker would produce better novels in the fantasy genre in later years, but this is still an exciting and imaginative book.
on 25 October 2014
I'm a big fan of Clive Barker and for me Weaveworld exemplifies what he does well. It's been a few years since I last read this, so I was a little worried that it might not stand up to a re-read, but I was proved wrong - and that makes me happy :-)

There a three pillars that make this book stand tall. The first is the imagination. In places the tale touches upon the familiar and weaves them into something new. Even though I'd read the book before I found the book to be full of wonders and dark delights.

The second is the scale of the story. It works on two levels, the most obvious being the overarching threat to an entire world. Yet the story is a very personal one. As with the first pillar the blend between the grandiose and the intimate works well.

Some may disagree with me on the third aspect. I love Clive Barker's style of writing. It's flamboyant and ignores certain conventions for brevity and efficiency (and so contributing to this being a rather long read), but I love it. All too easily I lost myself in the prose and the world he conjured.

So while my favourite Barker story will remain The Thief of Always this is the book that I would use as an example of what I enjoy about him as a writer. To paraphrase one of his other creations - "He has such sights to show you..."
on 22 January 2016
It has been so many years since I read most of Clive Barker's books, that the details of the books have begun to fade (it's old age, I know). You know those books that give you butterflies at the mention of them? Well, this is one of them. I may not remember the details, but I do remembered being engrossed in this book for ages, and it being a magical and fantastical experience. This is at the top of my list when it comes to re-reading any of my Clive Barker books. I can't wait to read it again. I just need to find more hours in the day first ;-)
on 25 August 2016
I have just finished re-reading Weaveworld and I have to say I enjoyed it even more this time than the first time I read it when it first came out in paperback.
It was one of those books that as soon as I saw it available for my kindle, I just had to get it. Fabulous from start to finish. Loved it.
on 30 December 2008
Having first read this novel at the age of 15, reading it again at the age of 34 it has lost none of its magic. This is Barker at his very best. Others have summarized the plot, so I will simply highlight that this is a book that I am glad to find I can return to over and over again throughout my life, finding -as with the best books- new and deeper layers of meaning the older I get. The story moves with a feather touch from Barker, his prose as light and lyrical as poetry, with characters that are entirely convincing in their humanity. This can sit on any bookshelf alongside Borges, Heller, Salinger or any other wonderful writer who the critics would more happily proclaim "worthy" A real treasure of a book, a great adventure story, and one so well-measured and primal that it takes root for life. Put yourself in the hands of a man who will truly take you on an amazing journey.
on 20 May 2004
This is one of my favourite books ever. I am a massive fan of Clive Barker's work but this is brilliant. I loved his characters, his ideas (in true Barker style) are fantastic, it is a flawless book. Seriously advise you read it.