on 4 March 2001
The city of Liverpool is reeling in the aftermath of the summer riots and Cal Mooney, a 26-year-old loner, is treading the back streets, searching for a stray pigeon that has escaped his father's garden. Nearby a derelict house is being emptied by removal men. The elderly owner is in hospital on the point of death and as the removal men clear her belongings Cal finds himself drawn to the house. There is a secret within it, contained within a carpet. The carpet is the entrance to the Fugue, a surreal world peopled by the Seerkind, a gentle race under threat from an evil presence named Shadwell, and Shadwell is on his way to Liverpool, together with his beautiful and bewitching partner, the deadly Immacolata. Together they aim to access the Fugue and conquer this paranormal world. Weaveworld is a mind blowing combination of urban mythology and modern history as the mayhem unleashed by Shadwell and Immacolata brings Inspector Hobart to the city. Hobart is a creation of Thatcherite proportions, a human enforcer who believes the law is an allegory for organised sadism and he determines to restore order, ending the paranormal disturbances sweeping the city, so enhancing the reputation he earned during his handling of the riots the previous summer. Cal, meanwhile, is haunted by his brief glimpse of the Fugue. His obsession with it leads him into the path of Suzzanna, the 22-year-old granddaughter of the woman whose house he stumbled into. This young couple have no idea of what they are about to enter... Instead of simply establishing a boy meets girl on dark adventure yarn Barker has delved far, far deeper, touching on the modern themes of rampant greed, a city in decay, and a hero and heroine who come vividly to life within the novel as they face the philistine evil of Shadwell and his murderous allies. This is Liverpool in the Eighties, a vibrant, colourful, charismatic city being destroyed from within by a malignant force motivated by money and bankrupt of morality. For Shadwell read the Iron Lady; remember her? Clive Barker is not just "the future of horror" as Stephen King so correctly forecast in 1984; he is a philosopher who blows every other horror writer clean out of the water - King included. And Weaveworld is not just a novel - it is something to believe in and learn from. This is perhaps the finest piece of work from one of the greatest writers alive today. A dark delight!
...and your imagination will never want to lose the excellence of this book. I have just finished reading Weaveworld for the third time and still find myself at a loss for words to capture its brilliance. Really, it defies explanation. Barker has created what I consider to be one of his greatest novels, heck! it's almost THE greatest novel. Its immensity allows its creator to use every aspect of great story telling to leave you feeling like you've just experienced something divine. It is an epic adventure of monumental proportions into a great secret world called 'The Fugue', that has been hidden away in order to elude its notorious enemies. Following the exploits of the two main characters, Cal and Suzanna, it tells us how they unravel (literally) the secrets behind the Weaveworld. This brings them into contact with some of Barkers most timeless and unforgettable characters, more notably so Immacolata and her side-kick the shifty salesman Shadwell. Mysterious, magical, loveable and terrifying - this book has it all. I particulaly love this book because of 'The Orchard of Lemuel Lo', with its entertaining magic and Jude Pears. A part of the book Clive Barker based on a early personal experience. It's just such a great chapter, magical in its peculiarities and believable by its subtlety. There are moments of exquisite tenderness and poetry in this book and moments that will have you practically tearing the page to turn it and find the answers to the many questions Barker poses throughout. The story will take you beyond reality, beyond fiction, beyond poetry and beyond fantasy to deliver you to an ambience that will intice, elate and overwhealm you. You will truly wish the story to never end, which in a way it never does - you have to experience it to understand. Suffice it to say Weaveworld is Heaven of a different form, only read it if you have plenty of breath to catch, tears to cry and imagination to be inspired, stretched and truly amazed.
on 18 April 2012
could do with an edit overall as so many mistakes with words etc. day instead of clay, bang instead of being, missed quotation marks. It does detract and become very annoying as you have to work out what was actually meant and what the correct word should be.
on 9 December 2000
I loved this book, I have read it time and time again. It was the first Clive Barker book I read and it is now one of many. The Weaveworld is magical and the type of place dreams are made of, but the underlying evil which lurks within the pages also make it the stuff of nightmares. Particularly awful is the angel that does not flit around with fairy wings, but is a harbinger of destruction. Aside the darkness of Shadwell, Imacolata, the Magdelene and the Hag, the book has some nasty turns which make it an engrossing read. I couldn't wait to read the next page and finished it in a matter of days. Not only is it a remarkable piece of fiction, but it makes your mind wonder a little which is always an acheivement. Possibly one of the best books I have read.
on 7 April 2006
This man, and more specifically this book, is the reason I read fiction today. I read this novel over ten years ago but it still remains one of the main influences in my life. Perhaps because I have read it over five times. The story itself is unique and entertaining. The author is able to mix fantasy and horror and weave it into a reality which we recognise as our own world. But it's not the story that makes this book one of the best I have ever read. It is the author himself, and the way he sings from the page. His sentence structure in book one of this novel is absolutely spell binding. He makes you feel the emotion of the characters and makes you feel the disgust - and even fear - of the evil characters in the novel. For a master class in the written word this book is a must although for superior story telling his other novel, Imajica, is arguably his best work.
on 25 October 2014
I'm a big fan of Clive Barker and for me Weaveworld exemplifies what he does well. It's been a few years since I last read this, so I was a little worried that it might not stand up to a re-read, but I was proved wrong - and that makes me happy :-)

There a three pillars that make this book stand tall. The first is the imagination. In places the tale touches upon the familiar and weaves them into something new. Even though I'd read the book before I found the book to be full of wonders and dark delights.

The second is the scale of the story. It works on two levels, the most obvious being the overarching threat to an entire world. Yet the story is a very personal one. As with the first pillar the blend between the grandiose and the intimate works well.

Some may disagree with me on the third aspect. I love Clive Barker's style of writing. It's flamboyant and ignores certain conventions for brevity and efficiency (and so contributing to this being a rather long read), but I love it. All too easily I lost myself in the prose and the world he conjured.

So while my favourite Barker story will remain The Thief of Always this is the book that I would use as an example of what I enjoy about him as a writer. To paraphrase one of his other creations - "He has such sights to show you..."
on 4 October 2001
Barker is an absolute genius! the story so compelling, it draws you right in to the heart of wonderful things.. things only Barker could have imagined, possibly one of his best. do you like miracles? then this one is for you, join calhoun 'mad' mooney in this crazy adventure through a world of raptures, seerkind and unlikely foes including a salesman?! Beware this miracle of a book. you must enter Weaveworld at any cost, lets just hope it wont be your sanity!
on 26 October 2004
I'll try not to repeat what has already been said... but here we have a book devoid of cliche, rich in imagination and utterley compelling... I found myself captivated by the visions withing, loving the characters... I guarantee as you walk throught the sodden streets afterwards, you will be eyening every crack in the landscape for the possibility of seeing hidden worlds.
on 17 November 2013
I bought this book when it first came out way back in the mists of time but sadly many of my books were lost. Now with e-books and kindle books I am gradually putting some of my library back together.

Weaveworld is a glittering dark fantasy, I wont give any spoilers but the premise is imaginative, the storyline is crammed with ups and downs and twists and turns, the baddies are bad and the goodies are not so bad and the characterisations are believable and sympathetic and hiss inducing where they need to be.

Clive Barker is an absolute master storyteller and this book is an example of the craft at its very best.
on 27 June 2015
The book binding was a bit dog eared but this is Barkers best work and amongst the greatest ever written. It's certainly not a horror, although it contains a lot of fear. This is a fantasy for all. The imagination is incredible.