on 15 August 2015
Am half way through this very interesting book. It's very good at explaining how your conscious brain gets in the way of what you actually see.
A very useful thing mentioned in the book is to use a transparent viewfinder (which you can make at home) to help you see in 2D.
Well deserving of it's classic status.
You still have to put in the time and practise if you want to get good at drawing, but this book will help you see where you go wrong.
on 16 March 2017
Love this book, interesting and projects are excellent to work on at home
on 11 September 2017
More theoretical than expected, rather limited in terms of help with the actual drawing.
on 16 June 2017
Very good for anyone lacking confidence in drawing.
on 18 September 2017
Excellent
on 4 June 2017
Very Fast delivery. Excellent product !
Thank you !!!
on 24 August 2017
Excellent drawing tutor, recommend it
on 29 June 2004
This is an eye-opening book that can change your life.
Like many, despite so-called "art-classes" at school I never learned to draw beyond the level of child-like scribbles.
This book was a revelation. I had no idea that even "talentless" individuals like myself could actually learn to draw, and to a pretty decent standard too. By following the exercises in this book, you progress with astonishing rapidity from "can't draw" to "can draw". Not only that, you learn to see differently which can transform your appreciation of the world around you.
I think this is an all time classic book that anyone who would like to draw should have. The results are truly remarkable, not least because you see real progress on day one.
on 14 January 2004
This is a truly inspirational book. I read it all the way through in record time as I couldn't wait to get started on the exercises. I think my drawing skills have improved immensely as I now really 'look' at what I am drawing and not draw what I 'think' I see. Betty Edwards has a very easy style, she gives loads of encouragement all the way through. It is obvious she knows her subject. Even if you think you 'know it all' you will learn something from this book. A must for any artist's book shelf, in my opinion. I have sent for the workbook now and The Artist Within. I am encouraging my son to read this book also.
on 30 June 2006
Quite simply, this should be the first 'teach yourself to be an artist' book that you buy. It addresses the basic reasons why people go wrong, and teaches you how to overcome the problems in a very clear way.

For example, tables normally have four legs of equal length, colour and shape. But drawings which depict tables like this are usually unrealistic and confused. You need to draw what you see - and not what you 'know'.

The book starts off with too much theory, and there's a lot of repetition. Lots of pages that you can skim over. But the improvement in one's results is astonishing.

I got the bug to start drawing and painting, and soon had bought 10 books and borrowed another 10 from the library. When I opened this book, I realised that I only needed a couple of technique books to supplement it. So, many of my purchases are now on their way to eBay...
22 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse