Customer reviews

Big Sur
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2018
I’d forgotten how hard Kerouac is to read. He writes as he thinks and tries to pinpoint feelings and words and because of this his writing can be labyrinthine and incredibly hard to follow. Having said that his imagery and language are stunning, moving and immediate.
on 29 October 2016
Loved this but then I love everything Jack Kerouac wrote and this did not disappoint. His ability to describe every day things in such a unique and delightful way is second to none.
One person found this helpful
on 4 October 2014
I loved On The Road by Jack Kerouac, but I really struggled through this book. The first part, taken mostly from his journal kept whilst living in isolation as a fire look-out on Desolation Peak, was particularly bad. I persevered and found the book improved once Jack leaves the mountain. From here the book details his cross-country trip down the West coast of the United States, detailing his travels and shenanigans down to Mexico.
on 2 August 2011
Jack takes three trips to a cabin in Big Sur in an attempt to de-stress but ends up having a psychotic episode due to the amount of wine he is drinking and the company he is keeping.A must read for self-doubting middle-aged hedonists.Some superb insights into paranoia and well written...a quality novel,although a bit on the short side.
on 27 August 2013
I read this and other Jack Kerouac books when I was a teenager and they blew me away. As a sixty four year old, I have started to re-read them and they still blow me away. By the way, Big Sur is my favourite.
One person found this helpful
on 19 October 2016
great book
on 21 December 2016
There is only one 'Jack'.
on 27 March 2017
Great read.
on 10 October 2013
Vintage Kerouac
His adventures never fail to interest, amuse and sometimes sadden.
Reading Kerouac, you are there with him ! A great writer of his times - up there with Henry Miller!
on 1 April 2015
Prose from the child of Hemingway, Celine with unacknowledged influence Of Joyce.