on 25 May 2016
Having 'devoured' every single Robin Hobb book I was delighted to learn she also wrote under the name of Megan Lindholm. This is her first novel I believe and I really struggled with it. Whilst the first few pages gripped me like a vice, after that it wasn't too difficult to put down. Quite a difference from her usual standard but the most astonishing thing for me was the way it ended. I had absolutely no idea I was at the end of the rather tedious story until I'd read the last word and turned over the page! I'll give Megan one more go on the strength of her other brilliant works but other than that I'll wait for Robin's next story.
on 3 August 2017
I have read ALL the Robin Hobb fantasy series - and some, or most even, more than once. The least read trilogy being "Soldier's Son" - only because it was of a different genre, I felt it was from a different place. That place is Mega Lindholm, with a distinctly native American "flavor" to it's folklore tradition. BUT the storyboard is "colored" quite as richly and the characters have greater depth of personality than some of the real folk I know! I look forward to reading on and on about Ki and Vandlier, as I have read on about Fitz, the Fool, the Traders of Bingtown and the Rainwilds, the Liveships and the Dragons. I love this author's work; I wish I'd written it!
on 6 March 2015
Ki and Vandien establish themselves as a reluctant pair, at least on the part of Ki. Their first journey is compelling and is clearly not the last. Physical details are shadowy although character type is extremely clear. One has to admire Ki for her honour and devotion whilst Vandien has a sense of rogue about him. The story of their first encounter is worth a read and will appeal to fantasy readers especially when they are waiting for the next Robin Hobb to be released.
on 25 March 2016
Flogged through this and hoped for better in next book in series. While the author shows the same talent for description and atmosphere, the story does not appeal to me. I have been spoiled by the Buck novels!
on 7 October 2017
Megan Lindholm's quartet is fab. I absolutely love the characters Ki & Vandien. Any chance Megan they might appear again in another adventure. Would absolutely love that. have some I hate coming to the end of a series of books knowing that that it is it. So can I have some more please.
on 20 May 2012
Having read nearly all the books by RH that are available in paperback/on Kindle, I moved on to her alter ego. These are shorter books, with less plot/character development.Enjoyable, though, and it's satisfying to spot ideas that feature in later books. x
on 13 August 2010
I was captured and held by this book. Nothing could separate me from the climax so it's as well I live alone and no-one is upset if the meals don't arrive in time. Megan Lindholm has a gift for inventing species and civilisations which hold together and are believable. Her characters have depth and grow as the story unfolds.

A good read.
10 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2015
I love everything she writes either in this name or Robin Hobb. I am slowly working my way through her catalog. Book arrived as described and on time.
on 19 September 2014
3 stars by Robin Hobbs standard. Still better than others of this genre
on 2 December 2015
Great page-turner; the characters are written about so well that you find yourself very attached very quickly. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series!