on 10 September 2017
Brilliant record love it
on 6 June 2001
I read the book with ease and it provided a great deal of information related to wheat intolerances. Very beneficial to understand how food can affect your body and well being. After reading the book, I understand how essential it is to 'listen' to your body. The recipes that I have tried are easy to follow and a delight to eat!
on 10 July 2003
A bit of background first.
I came across "wheat intolerance" at a Thyroid meeting - it was suggested that more than 10% of the population may have an intolerance and that some symptoms are similar to those already suffered by those with underactive thyroids.
I saw this book the week after and a quick glance turned into 30 minutes in the bookshop.
It's not limited to those with Thyroid problems. There is a 15 question quiz which gives you a guide to if you are intolerant of wheat (but I would say the rest of the book applies to those who aren't intolerant too)
It doesn't say "eat this and not that" so its not going to be any use if you just want to be told your days meals. Instead it gives you a reason for increasing or decreasing a particular type of food. e.g. "Fast" sugar foods have an adverse effect on your blood sugar levels, "slow" sugar foods are better - here is a list of the fast, medium and slow ones - eat accordingly (its up to you to limit your chocolate intake...)
First there's getting rid of wheat in the diet - no sandwiches (Pret do wheat free), no cakes (coconut macaroons are ok), no pasta, pizza. Then there are the other recommended diet improvements - reduce the "fast" sugars, drink at least 1 litre of water a day, dont drink with a meal, dont mix certain combinations, eat certain foods that are good (reasons given for each). No limits on carbohydrates (Atkins), or calories (I find I can "pig-out" on lots of things as cutting out wheat has already gotten rid of most of the culprits anyway). I've followed the resultant "food lifestyle" for 8 months without difficulty or hunger - lost over a stone when my weight has been stubbornly stable for 10 years and over 3 inches off the waist. Highly recommended - any everyone who has tried it seems to have similar results. Never tried any of the recipes so can't comment on those
on 21 March 2011
I have a wheat intolerance and have found it hard to find a wheat free cook book which contains healthy recipes. This book is far more informative than I had expected with lots of top tips to help aid digestion and also lose weight. I have tried most of the recipes already and every single one has been delicious! They are mostly simple recipes too so I have been able to make them on a normal night after work without too much trouble.
I can't recommend this book highly enough.
on 30 August 2001
I've recently been diagnosed with a serious wheat allergy, meaning that I now have to carry an emergency shot of adrenaline with me at all times. I got this book just after being diagnosed and have found the information to be invaluable. The recipes have been really useful - I can recommend the recipe for muffins - fantastic! It's hard to tell the difference between wheat-containing and wheat-free recipes.
on 10 November 2009
I have IBS and Diverticulitis and have terrible problems with bloating and belching. Tried a few recipes and seemed to work, when I stopped eating wheat the bloating etc ceased recently had a cake the other day and to my surprise I started with wind again. There's something to wheat free foods, I recommend people trying it and seeing what works (or not) for them.
on 6 June 2001
This book is an absolute godsend. Having recently found out that i have a serious Wheat Intolerance problem I was despairing as to how I was going to manage to eat as so many foods have 'hidden' wheat. This book not only describes the effects of wheat on the body but also discusses the effects of low blood sugar on the body as well. Contains comprehensive menue suggestions and loads of indepth information on how to loose weight by excluding wheat from the diet yet still eat healthily.
on 17 December 2012
I enjoyed this book. I read it for the first time while living in Essex but was not able to find a copy of it here back in NY. I ordered it from Amazon in England and enjoyed reading it a second time.

It is quite helpful for someone who either needs to or chooses to avoid wheat in their diet for whatever reason. I find wheat makes me crave more and more cheap carbs and has kept me obese for many decades. I was alerted to this when I was in my 20s by a holistic counselor who was working with me on sorting out my eating disorder but never heeded her advice, I was totally in the grips of a real addiction to wheat, sugar and cheap white carbs.

Fast forward a few decades and I find being a vegan and living a wheat and sugar free life with lots of cardio has done a great deal to resolving my eating disorder which has plagued me since 1983 as a young Uni student.

Highly recommended !
on 8 May 2013
Good sensible advice... A bit heavy going, you need to address this book like a text book, it's the only way I could get through it and I confess I have not read it all.
on 30 March 2010
A very interesting and informative book. It contains a good selection of interesting recipes. Although I find it focuses more on the 'dieting' side it does help those of us who have wheat allergies. I have certainly re-thought my eating habbits since reading the book.