on 14 September 2001
I had encountered situational leadership through my educational endeavours and was interested to learn more. I bought the book and have found it invaluable. The style of writing makes it no chore at all to read (unlike many texts). It has a pacy, cheerful style and lays down the SL approach in an interesting manner. I have found that colleagues have found the format easy to use. Practical applications include personal development planning and identification of learning activities/approaches/styles for teams and individuals.
on 30 November 2001
As a training officer I needed a book to help me write a course on management and managing others, how to recognise different styles and how/which one to use on who and when. Well, this book answered all my questions. So well written, easy to follow and understand - this book has given me an excellent approach to my course and my company should see the results. A definate buy for any manager wishing to understand their staff more and how to get the best out of them.
on 13 November 2011
When I first read Leadership and the One Minute Manager back in the 1980s, I loved its situational leadership model, but that was 25 years ago. Since then, two flaws have become clear.

One is that it focuses on the handling of individuals whereas leadership is more than that - it's about influencing individuals AND whole groups, sometimes very large groups, but this book doesn't address that. Its other flaw is this: it ignores the reality that many leaders won't adapt their behaviour according to the competence and commitment of each follower (which is the book's main idea) because of their old mindsets and behavioural habits. It assumes we can all change our behaviour at will without working on our psychology.

It's still a good read, but in my view it's not teaching "leadership" per se and it ignores the power of mindsets. So you might also want to consider a book that offers a more complete model of leadership and teaches you how to master your psychology as a leader. There are not many, but in my view the best example is "The Three Levels of Leadership" by James Scouller. Hopefully there will be others in the future.
on 19 March 2001
I read this book straight through in 2 hours. So many of the examples and illustrations related to my own personal experiences in managing people. The book is written in a clear, logical and humourish style which makes it both enjoyable and very informative and easy to understand.
The book explains with great clarity and vision the principles and the formula for Situational Leadership, I shall certainly be implementing this priceless tool in my organisation and throughout my career.
A must read for any aspiring sucessful manager, I shall be giving a copy of it to my boss!
on 17 June 2014
I love when those Amazon recommendations you get at the foot of a book listing actually send you to something worthwhile. It doesn't always (often) happen but.... Anyway I found this book after picking up a mention from Who's Driving the Bus? Leadership and Management in a Few Easy Steps so nothing about becoming a bus driver. That took me to The One Minute Manager and then on to this title.

Leadership and the One Minute Manager is different from Who's Driving the Bus but both are worth reading. I would have given this book five stars but as I'd given Sue Gee's book five I decided Ken Blanchard only deserved four as I preferred her style and the great illustrations.
on 7 December 2001
Never before have I seen anyone explain management topics in such a simple and understandable way.
I must say that my way of thinking has changed much since I started reading this series. I am a business consultant and I have started using Blanchard's and his colleagues' ways in advising my clients. I have seen many succeed because of the application of some of these ideas.
Thank You!
on 17 November 2003
This is the book that I wish I had been handed when I was appointed as a Team Manager 2 years ago. Shows that leading others is not about delegating work and giving the occasional rollocking. Highly Reccomended.
on 4 December 2004
This book reveals a process that beats all other coaching processes in it's simplicity and effectiveness. It shows how anyone can successfully coach and develop a range of experienced and inexperienced people at their pace and comfort effectively, with little or no conflict - if done properly. Forget your GROW model. This is simple, practical and effective
on 26 May 1999
It was an easy read. It covered comprehensive principles which can be applied immediately. It's a must for any manager who is looking to improve their working environment.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 January 2014
Fantastic book and very insightful. A great read for anyone who is seeking to become a better leader or manager.