on 3 March 2016
There is no need to comment on the quality of the books so I will limit myself to the quality of the edition. I bought the hardcover box set The Chronicles of Narnia box set (The Chronicles of Narnia) ([...]). I can confirm that the books are nicely bound (sewn not glued) and presented. The original illustration are inlcuded in full colour.
13 people found this helpful
on 22 February 2016
Classic stories in cheap and flimsy paperback. If you want to keep them for posterity then this is not the set to buy. If you want just read then then they're fine. I'm reading them to my kids and the stories are great with old fashioned line illustrations.
6 people found this helpful
on 20 December 2015
A classic timeless chronicle. I read these as a child and am now reading them to my own little one. More fantastical than Harry Potter, much less verbose than LOTR. If you've never read these books, or at least don't know any of the stories other than The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe then it's worth picking up the set and reading them all, they're great books. Each is actually quite short - only around 170 pages - so most people could probably finish one in an evening.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 June 2017
I was worried that because these were the original small format (rather than the large paperbacks often sold nowadays) the print might not be so good, but I needn't have worried at all ...nice clear, easy to read print, with all the original illustrations included.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 March 2017
I always wanted a big Narnia book with more retro drawings inside and the look of the book itself. This was what I really wanted from day one and I was not disappointed when opening my package to check it out.
4 people found this helpful
on 9 March 2014
I was looking, for some time now, for a nice, hardcover, edition with all the narnian adventures and having found this one, with the beautiful pages and illustrations, I was convinced. The copy I received is as shown, not like the pictured posted by one costumer. The book is quite large (28,5 cm x 22 cm) and heavy, so it's is not a book to carry around but perfect to read at home with a cup of tea.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2006
This box set is a truly wonderful gift for Narnia fans of all ages. And, dare I say it, I actually prefer it to the unabridged books which I've read. I never thought I'd say that! Although as these books are so short, there's not a grate deal missed out. Perhaps some of the really young lines where the author addresses the reader or compares life in Narnia to life in England, so nothing really major left out.
What makes this box set so special is the musical score that was written for it. The books are read by Michael Hordan, who is sadly no longer with us. He has a wonderfully distinctive voice which really transports the reader in to Narnia in a way that no other reader has ever managed. His narration is accompanied by some beautiful music played on harp and flute.
I first got these books from the library when I was quite little, and my life-long love of Narnia was born. They remain some of my favourite books and I was delighted when they came out on CD years later and I was able to by them. I well remember lying on my bed, listening to The scene in The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe when Aslan is killed, sobbing my heart out. His death was accompanied by Moon Light Sonata, which made it all the more powerful, and is consequently my favourite piece of classical music.
I can hear people saying, "music and narration together? Oh please no!" but I assure you, it really does work, and it's not the whole way through. There are certain theme tunes you come to recognize, like those for Aslan or the white which. I remember trying to listen to the books without music and it just wasn't the same. It just helps to add an extra bit of wonder and magic to Lewes's timeless imagination.
17 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 8 September 2016
I got this for my niece & nephew but then I couldn't part with it! Its a stunning A4 size, with small colour illustrations throughout. And I sat down & re-read most of the books over one weekend! total joy. Needless to say I got my niece & nephew something else :-) And I might let them borrow this for an hour or two!
One person found this helpful
on 9 August 2016
Great set. Be warned that the print is quite tiny in the books! That's okay if an adult is reading them but may be a bit small for a child reading solo.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 August 2011
I mistakenly purchased an abridged audiobook of "Prince Caspian" to complete my set of Narnia but lost it almost as quickly surprisingly.
I rarely buy any audiobooks abridged or dramatised versions unless I can avoid them and I buy hardbacks, partly because they are often cheaper (obviously too heavy for the paperback brigade) but also because they feel like books.
I was not disappointed with this version; high quality recording, pleasingly read without too many efforts at strange voices. The CDs went to my grandchildren for future use and to make the set complete.

P.S. To Graspee: Thank you for this prudent advice. I will remove them "post-haste" and try to be more diligent and law-abiding in future!
2 people found this helpful