More About Paddington
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2014
Having seen a trailer at the cinema for a forthcoming film version of Paddington, I downloaded this book to read to my daughter, realising that although Paddington had been a favourite in my childhood, I hadn't yet shared it with her. It was even better than I remembered, and she loved it too, laughing out loud as I read it to her. She's keen to read further books in the series herself (she's 11, and I had wondered whether she might be too old for it, but clearly not). There were the odd bits that I needed to translate e.g. explaining the concept of seaside photographers who used to offer photo services to tourists, with big cameras using photographic plates - out of date even when I read this book as a child, and archaic in an age when everyone takes snaps on their phones and tablets. It therefore jars that the publisher has updated the currency in the book from pre-decimal to decimal currency, which doesn't make sense - I'm sure there were no photographers working like this post decimalisation (1971). But such issues are always a dilemma when reading classic children's literature.

It was an added bonus to find at the end a short, pleasant essay by the author describing how he first came to write the Paddington books, which have eclipsed everything else he ever wrote, as far as I'm aware. It was a lovely story, but then oddly contradicted by a the publisher's "About the author" bit afterwards, which gave a completely different and far less compelling account. Ok, so which is it? I prefer to believe the Bond's version - but the publisher ought to have spotted this, and to get their facts right. Not affecting my five star rating here, though, as those stars belong to Paddington and his creator, not to the publisher.
on 28 January 2018
I must confess I am an adult who loves good children’s books. Maybe because they are simpler, have great many adventures or surprises, always have a great sense of right and wrong, and nearly always ends well. Paddington is one of those stories. Firstly I like the idea that Paddington is a speckled bear from the darkest Peru, who has perfect manners (except when he eats or when decides to do ‘something’), and speaks good English and always means well! I also like the fact that people at first misunderstands him but eventually ends up liking this wonderful bear! Paddington is the perfect story for all ages, and all his adventures could really happen to us if we went to live in a foreign country for the first time without understanding how things worked. I feel like I can totally relate to Paddington, and also likes the fact that the inspiration came from WWII evacuees. Makes great reading for children or anyone learning English, too.
VINE VOICEHALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 5 July 2015
The world’s most famous illegal immigrant first appeared in print back in 1958, and has been entertaining children and adults ever since. I must admit that I did become worried about Paddington at the General Election as it was rumoured that if UKIP gained some power they had a secret agenda in which Paddington books would be publicly burned. But thankfully for us all this didn’t come to pass.

At the end of the story is a postscript by Michael Bond in which he writes about the way he really just kind of stumbled upon writing a children’s book, and how certain characteristics of the characters come from real people he knew. You can look upon this book as either a novel, as the chapters continue in a logical order, as well as a series of short stories, as each chapter tells of the further incidents of what has become a legendary bear.

We first meet Paddington at Paddington station, by which time he has stowed away on a ship from Darkest Peru and entered the country illegally. When Mr and Mrs Brown see him they being kind hearted but foolhardy folk, give Paddington a place to live with complete disregard to immigration laws. But I think that they may have bitten off more than they can chew, because Paddington, which is the name they give to the bear is quite a handful.

From the beginning of this book we see that Paddington although very polite, can be exceptionally clumsy, and thus he gets into all sorts of trouble and causes a certain amount of mayhem and worry wherever he goes. My sister and I had the stories read to us when we were little, then we read them ourselves, and watched the TV production on the BBC at the time, and although it has been years since I last read this particular book I could still remember parts of the story.

In our house we used to practice that famous stare that Paddington gives to some people at times, and I have even taught a former girlfriend how it goes, which has caused many in the past to become quite worried. Paddington works for all ages as the stories are so full of comic incident and misunderstandings, which we can all relate to. Thus if you are reading this to a child you will find that you love this story just as much now as when you were little yourself.
on 11 August 2016
I loved these books as a child and am now re-reading them with my grandson-they're in kindle format now! Some books I read as a child didn't seem to have the same appeal when I went back and read them as an adult but the charm is still there in this one. It still reads as well now as it did then. My grandson loved it and thought it was funny too. Very enjoyable for both of us. Timeless tales. I loved the additional section at the back with a bit of background information from the author, about how the books came about etc. I bought the next book in the series straight after finishing this one and can't wait to get to that one as well.
on 6 September 2011
I love this big cute book. I found it at my local charity shop for 10 euro, and thought "it's probably cheaper on Amazon". It was. I got mine for 0.01p, with shipping came in total to half of what I was being asked locally. I got a bottle of Mr Muscle 5in1 Window Cleaner 500 ml (Pack of 6), and brightened up the hardback boards. There was also tbe residue of an old sticker on the top right hand corner, probably the original price mark, which I removed with some Mykal Sticky Stuff Remover 250ml. The book is looking practically new again, and will serve my 6 children for many years to come I hope.

But that is not the real reason for this review. This is a super children's book, written in a more innocent age than our own (though fast corroding even at that period, the 50's). This is just the sort of stuff I want my children reading. If you want to sustain your child(ren)'s innocence for just a little bit longer then the omnibus edition of Paddington Bear is just the job. Hours of reading fun for parents and children. 5 stars easily.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 January 2015
My boys 4 and 6 went for this story because the film is out. Although it took a while to get through it, they both said they want more. Good old time fun story with a cute bear. Nice to read a story without a character that has super powers, transforms or fights aliens, nice change for my boys.
on 18 July 2017
I bought this following Michael Bond's death. Instantly I was back to the age of 7, when I first met Paddington and enjoyed his adventures and philosophies. A lovely bear wo still helps us to learn lesson for life.
on 26 July 2016
It was wonderful to read the original story all about Paddington. It's just lovely, I've seen the film and watched him on telly but never read the book until now and it's just fabulous.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2015
I'd forgotten how good Paddington bear books are, and when my son asked if we could read this at bedtime, I wasn't really looking forward to it. But, I was wrong to think it would be boring, it was a delight. Still don't think I can bring myself to watch the film though....some things should be left alone, and I do believe that a certain little bear from darkest Peru should be one of them!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2018
My 6 year old son had Paddington as his topic at school so we have been reading the stories to support his learning. I have really enjoyed reading the story to him. It is funny, warming and engaging. And great for all ages!