Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2017
​I've had this book on my TBR shelf for a few months now. I bought it to complete a Goodreads challenge but after looking at it several times as I was browsing my bookshelf I was reluctant to read it. I'd briefly flicked through it after buying and noticed that a) it was very thin - around 125 pages and b) the writing was quite large. After looking through the blurb I noticed that this was a children's book. And my heart sank. It wasn't going to fulfil me, I thought; it won't be my type of thing. Well, lordy, how wrong I was! I loved it.

Yes, it is for children and it is very basic in its writing style and all those things but the depth of story for such a short piece was fantastic and although it was a little far-fetched (rightly so; it is a children's book after all) I caught myself smiling throughout the hour it took me to complete.

Will I recommend it? Absolutely. Children will love this. And if you're a big kid like me, you adults will too. Buy it for the kids and when they're asleep, read it yourself and marvel in this beautiful little story.
on 13 November 2016
A lovely book - captivating for adults and children alike.

It is the story of Bertie and his white lion. How they grew up together in South Africa, but were separated. How Bertie met the girl who would become his wife, and how he searched for his white lion.

Lovely illustrations, and highly recommended to children aged about 7 upwards or to adults.
on 23 October 2016
I love M Morpurgo books. Good twist at the end too. My class loved this book. Would also recommend Kensuke's Kingdom. If you have a reluctant reader, look through the Morpurgo range as there will be a type of book that your child will love.
on 4 November 2006
I liked the book because when I read a chapter I always want to read more to get to the exciting bit.The best part of the book was when Bertie meets the white lion because I know how it feels when you haven't seen a friend for several years.

This is one of the best books I have ever read and I can't wait to read other Michael Morpurgo books.

I would recommend this book to anyone from age 7 onwards.
0Comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2017
Great value and gift for my grand daughter she loves it.
on 4 April 2017
My son thoroughly enjoyed reading this
on 20 May 2017
I read this to my class every year. It is such a beautiful story.
on 13 June 2017
As described came in good condition and a pleasure to read for my daughter
on 6 March 2017
A lovely story that takes you in an emotional journey at a simpler time in the Britain that resonates with anyone who had a treasured friend.
on 25 May 2017
Fabulous read regardless of age. I bought this as a gift for a grown up friend in Spain.