TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 December 2005
This trilogy , fictionalised as it is, is really Judith Kerr's own story of her family's escape from Nazi Germany at the time of Hitler's accession to power, their stay in Switzerland and then England, deprived of the comfortable lifestyle they had in Berlin (her father was a successful and highly esteemed writer), her first steps in the world of creative art (and a parallel love affair) and then, in her third book, her return in the 1950s to Berlin to visit her ill mother. It is written very simply and directly, as for a young person, but there is nothing childish about it. The directness makes it both powerful and moving. I have never read such a 'real' personal account of the Blitz, for example. I came to these books through the writer's children's books about The Tiger Who Came to Tea and Mog the Forgetful Cat, classics both. These three books are a different kind of thing, but it is easy to see the link between the gentle humanity of the children's books and this trilogy. Strongly recommended.
on 20 August 2017
All good
on 2 May 2011
For my 13th birthday I got a book card and I was deciding on books to buy. My mum picked up 'When Hitler stole pink rabbit', I dismissed it because it was in the childrens' section but later I found 'Out of Hitler time' in the teenage section, I flicked through and bought it (mainly because it cheaper buying the whole thing rather than the books separately!)I started Pink Rabbit as soon as I got home and enjoyed immensely; it was easy to read and humorous. I began the 2nd book but couldn't get into it, I don't know why because when I picked it up again last month (I'm almost 15 now, and wondered if the books would be too childish for me) I was sucked in all over again! The other two are just as good as the first, only for teenagers- and adults would probably enjoy them too. The 3rd one particularly is more adult, it deals with family tragedy, and although the least happens, it is, in my opinion the best! In my German class now we are reading Pink Rabbit (Als Hitler das rosa kaninchen stahl' and we are working our way through that and we love it!
I would recommend this trilogy to anyone who enjoys a nice, easy read on a Sunday afternoon :) read it, it will stay with you for a long time... <3
on 22 December 2001
This story will bring tears to your eyes.
It's based on the experience of the author's childhood. It's starts of as a Jewish girl named Anna who has everything in the world she needs. Her dad is a very rich writer. Then Hitler comes along wanting to rule over Germany. So they have to escape to Switzerland to live quite poorly but travel with Anna and her brother Max into a lot of adventures and tragic moments that you will never forget.
on 9 January 2008
If you are thinking of getting this edition instead of the three books individually, be aware that it does not contain the complete text of the last, A Small Person Far Away. I don't know about the other two but the cuts for the third were considerable. However, this in no way detracts from the power of the story. This book should be read by as many people as possible, in whatever form.
on 30 November 2003
Although this book is technically a children's book I loved it. It is easy to forget that war didn't just affect the men on the front-line, and this book takes us on the journey of the life an every day family. Anna's family may be Jewish, but they are not a religious family, and Anna only knows she is a Jew because her Father tells her so. This must have been very confusing for a child. The story is based on the true life of the author, which adds meaning to the plot.
on 4 June 2014
I read when Hitler stole Pink Rabbit as a child and always wished I knew what happened next, when I discovered there were actually two further books I jumped at the chance to read them. Written by the renown author of 'The Tiger Who Came To Tea' and the 'Mog the Cat' books this is a lovely biographical insight of a German Jewish Dissident fleeing the Nazis s with his family told from the point of view of Judith who started the war as a little girl protected by her parents and ended as a young woman caring for them. A great story teller showing life inside that long terrible moment in time.
on 10 February 2011
Every child should read these stories. If the child in your life is an avaid reader you should choose this omnibus edition so that they can follow the central character through each phase of the evacuation and reinvention of life as a refugee. There is a lot of modern racism about assylum seekers so you do not have to be a child of the forties or Jewish to feel the relevance.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2009
I never read `When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' at school but picked up my daughter's copy which I enjoyed very much and decided to buy the whole omnibus. Pink Rabbit is (in some ways) a comparatively gentle treatment of the Holocaust - Anna and her family escape from Germany early in the novel and the rest of the story is more about the experiences - sometimes funny, sometimes painful - of life as a refugee in Switzerland, France and finally England.

I thought `Pink Rabbit'one of the most striking reflections on the Holocaust I've encountered - even though it's only treated obliquely in the book. Anna's voice is so fresh and modern that it seems completely unthinkable that she and her (sometimes rather irritating) family would have been sent to a concentration camp if they hadn't left in the nick of time - the next day the Nazis had come round to their house to confiscate the family's passports.

Little Anna is rather feisty but the adolescent Anna of the second novel is shyer and more awkward - and doesn't always know what to make of her elder brother's jovial university friends or, a bit later, the more Bohemian types she meets at art school. The painful experience of a first crush - on her irresponsible art tutor - is very well done. The third novel is equally direct and sometimes painful - Anna is torn between anxiety for her sick mother and terror that she may be trapped in Berlin as the Suez crisis unfolds.

Again, the Holocaust seemed to be a surprisingly absent presence in the third book - one might imagine that Anna was constantly thinking about what the various Germans she encountered did in the war but that doesn't seem, on the whole, to be an issue for her. As a script writer, Anna is very conscious of when her life seems to be conforming to the corny clichés of melodrama. So I assume that one creepy incident really happened to Anna/Judith - if only because you probably wouldn't make it up. This is her sudden realization that the pattern of the curtains in her guest house is made up of tiny swastikas. My daughter, aged 9, really enjoyed `Pink Rabbit' and obviously identified with the engaging character of Anna - but the second two novels are definitely aimed at an older audience.
on 8 June 2015
This book is so good that I have ordered it in paperbook as well as originally readng n on my Kindle ! It must have been so difficultbvfor the author to write as a very young chile who gradually matures and grows up , becoming a teenager ! The really compelling part was her memories f the London Blitz. Now I have been inside the skin of the europeans fleeing into this country afraid quite rightly that if they did not make it that the only other alternative for thamselves and their children would be a concentration camp - and then ultimately certain death... Although I have had a certain fascination regardng the 1st and 2nd World Wars and the horrr of it all, have never been able to place my feet squarly in these poor people's shoes. Tyen they faced little or no prospect of obraining work so that they had somewhere to live and food to buy to survive. Judith Kerr's young clear observations brought many things home to me of what it must be to have to flee one's own country, leaving your home, family and friends and quite often feeling like a displaced citizen in a strange but kind country. Having read, and re-read her autobiography I shall always be eternally grateful to her for showing me many new insights into what happened to the Jewish race during the 2nd World War. In fact with her analyzise as a child many things were shown to me with the clear honest judgment that children have when travelling through their life without any pre-conceived ideas of what their future lives will show to them.
I absolutely adored this book - I must have as I have never read a book through twice before in such a short space of time. She ( the author ) is also very brave to allow her innermost thoughts be read by the rest of the world. Many people would not have been prepared to bare their life ( with all the difficult things ), growing up is always a trial at times for everyone whether one is the child or the parent. Because she was prepared to tell her story to any reader she should be blessed for enriching our lives with the knowledge of how one mad man culd wreak such havoc and untold deaths and dissater at that time. Thank you Judith Kerr - all young people would benefit from reading this book. Bless you !