Customer reviews

Interpreter of Maladies: Stories
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2000
Superb book, that is moody and sensual. It conveys the issues surrounding the lives of Indian people living inside and outside of their native country. I am married to an Indian woman and this book so much encapsulates the attititudes of different layers of the Indian population
on 25 August 2013
Beautifully written stories that have a depth that is often difficult to capture in short stories. For the Indian diaspora, there is a lot to relate to in this book and Lahiri's others (Unaccustomed Earth being one of my favourites) and comes highly recommended.
on 20 November 2012
If you are interested in literature about India, or Indian culture in its many forms, then this is a book to put on your reading list. I don't read a lot of short stories, because I usually like to really get into a good longer story; however in this collection, I felt like each story built upon the last. The reader is presented with a different facet of life relating to Indian culture. I definitely did not find the stories "samey", as I have read in other reviews. Yes, they are all connected by common threads, but there is a world of subtle differences between each tale.

In my opinion, the first story, A Temporary Matter really shone out amongst the collection, and although I couldn't book the book down, none of the other stories had me quite as enchanted as the first.
on 12 April 2016
I found these stories very interesting. It is intriguing to see people from the Indian subcontinent being portrayed as US residents. They haven't usually got as much attention there as some other ethnic groups in the US.
on 14 August 2013
really nice collection of short stories, very easy to read only fault I wish it was longer, this book won't disappoint. If you like Indian writers this is a must!!
on 2 March 2011
The overall theme is repetitive but it gave a good account of immigrants and an insight into their own troubles ... worth a read for all children of immigrants.
on 1 April 2014
I usually don't read short stories but this was chosen for our bookclub April read and I really enjoyed dipping in and out.
Short stories that say a lot.
on 13 September 2013
Through this set of short stories Ms. Lahiri shows hereself to be a skilful writer, with a ready perception of her characters and their cultural context.
on 29 January 2017
Quite excellent. As a prolific reader of short stories I was immensely impressed with this collection and will be looking to read more by Jhumpa Lahiri.
on 30 May 2013
These are the stories of everyday lives of immigrants from South Asia. they are more like her experiences from childhood to adulthood of the writer.