on 28 January 2015
First published in the UK, this is an excellent, controversial and ground breaking book which explores the parallels of the traditional wisdom of Eastern Mysticism and contemporary Physics. Capra's writing style is clear and engaging throughout. It is well supported with many helpful diagrams and illustrations to the extent that he makes a complex subject approachable to the intelligent layman. Nevertheless, the 'Tao of Physics' is rather dated now. Those interested in following up Capra's more recent work may find his 'The Systems View of Life', published last year--2014-- to be more relevant to 21st century issues. The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision

Readers may also find a more up to date view on the subject as expressed in 'Quantum Creativity' by Amit Goswami to be of interest.
Quantum Creativity: Think Quantum, Be Creative

Chris Allen is a Hypnotherapist, Technical Author and writer with the following books available through Amazon:
Reality Shaper: The Quantum Detective which is his latest novel
Parallel Lifetimes
The Beam of Interest: Taken by Storm
Hypnotic Tales 2013: Some Light Some Dark
Call of the Void: The Strange Life and Times of a Confused Person: 1
on 19 January 2016
Tao of physics

I read the 1976 version with an addition suggesting a new set of paradigms.
I found the parts outlining the thought forms of physics convincing ,especially:- the idea of the observer and the observed being one process;the idea that something can be characterized in more than one way seemingly contradictorily yet very effectively/the ideas of 'polarity in that opposites can exist within each other;the idea that truth is not an edifice but a organism in process of evolution ;the idea of a cosmic flux of phenomena in which 'centres' or 'things'' are part of a flow and only temporarily static;the idea of a ''field'' of phenomena rather than 'bits'of force flowing like a stream constituting akind of ''dance'';,and many others en route.
The descriptions of ancient Hindu ,buddhist and chinese philosophy and their mystical staes of ''oneness'' etc were necessarlily abbreviated and a bit slender but convincing enough for one to see that in some way or other the ancient thoughts have reappeared in physics in its two main theories and riddles.
There was a lot of credit given to Heisenberg and the copenhagen interpretation.However a glaring omission is the work of David Bohm especially ''wholeness and the Implicate order. Also his discussions on the operation of the brain with krishnamuurti and brain scientists.Surely this was worth considering.?

It seems to me clear that when we as ordinary people interact psychologically ,and we always do... the basic physical fact of being separate people does not really apply with the newtonian sense of being separate lumps of flesh .Rather we observe each other like two boats on a river drifting past each other ;ie psychological observation obeys relativity.What we see and how long it lasts and how much weight we give our perception depends on our velocities and directions psychologically.If I am speeding towards being prime minister (god forbid) you will appear to me relative to that aim and the speed I am going towards it..
Ditto if I as observer have prejudices against you then what you say will seem to me different than it does to you.if i am looking only to see if you want to to be PM too then I am only asking one thing from my perception and see nothing else.I obey quantum theory in the sense of there is no such thing as ''objectively 'what you said but only different perceptions of it..
This might have been explored.
In physics itself physicists ask questions.It seems to me that in all the structures they ''describe'' they are actually describing their own mental operations and not things in themselves.Yet I am not sure anyone really believes this ?But so it is.
This leads to perhaps something missing.
The ancient mystics describe something as reality which Evolution may just perhaps have given us for free.?What they describe DOES have correlates in the West ,partly in the mysticism of Plotinus or Cratylus Plato and evn in Aristotle ...a doctrine of THE IDEA or logos ...as described also as late as kepler....but alsoin the contradictions and ''koans''involved in german Idealism.There is so much seemingly oriental thought in Hegel or Fichte for esample.Being is Nothing etc etc
Then the german romantics ,seeking the invisible Feminine in the purseit of science.Yin in Yang etc
Let's remember that Heisenberg played beethoven excellently and his brother follwed Rudolf Steiner...that Schroedinger wrote ,like Goethe ,on colour and that very many of these guys knew faust by heart.
In a way ''The human being''is the thing missing in the book.it tries to present HUMAN as just part of a great mystical flux which has many shapes and forms and we are just one more .but in fact we are the focus ...and maybe eastern mysticism ,much preferable to Baconian Violence needs to come to terme with its own relation to the fact that without the human being none of this would exist.We are the centre after all...the heart of things.
on 12 June 2017
Absolutely life changing read. I personally am an atheist, but Capra does such a good job of articulating that what physics tells us now is what ancient Eastern mystics were writing thousands of years ago. One of the main themes throughout the book is how subatomic physics shows us that at that level, all things are interconnected and exist as mathematical possibilities. So even though we appear to exist separately on earth, we are not separate at all. I have no knowledge of physics so I found it hard to keep up at times but it was worth it. I honestly found it to be a comforting read and it has changed my willingness to be open to spirituality.
on 13 January 2016
I am an atheist .. for I believe Life in general has No Meaning , Man is just a psychotic form of ape originating in Africa a few million years ago, there is no Meaning, Purpose, or Significance to our lives except those we Chose to give them. Cosmologically or Biologically our individual lives are less than nothing.
I would love to believe in a Spiritual Dimension to Life, I guess its my yearning Emotional Intelligence.
This book has planted a seed in my subconscious mind that I hope will grow into a less Rational and more Intuitive me.
Even an electron in the far flung Andromeda Galaxy is somehow connected directly to me .. just one observation I learned from Mr Capra.
review image
on 1 August 2014
Incredible. Fritjof Capra another one form the German speaking world - their researchers and scientists have a knack for pioneering what a wonderful book connecting Physics and Eastern Philosophy. If you like me is interested in "connecting the dots" of our wonderful universe this is the book that does this... Physics made understandable and the more than 9000 years history of Eastern Philosophy laid out clearly. And then how these two we thought different universes are but one universe. I love this book and is one I will keep reading again and again, over and over. Connecting the dots and getting rid of misconception about our universe is what I got from this book.
on 2 December 2014
An absolute classic. The parallels between the implications of quantum physics / relativity and traditional eastern thought are lucidly laid out. Strangely, the findings of non-linear dynamics (chaos theory) are not mentioned, even in the more recent afterwords, despite being very fitting with Capra's arguments - perhaps this not, strictly speaking, physics?
This book was ground breaking in the seventies, and is still pertinent and fresh today. Read it!
on 22 February 2018
heavy - cool
on 28 March 2014
This book came as a revelation when I read it many years ago. I had always been interested in science and the eastern teachings of enlightenment from my teenage years. Upon reading this book, I realised that I had been looking at the same thing from two directions.

Fritjof Capra thoroughly knows both the subjects covered and is, therefore, able to give those who are intrigued by philosophy and physics a great insight into the similarity of thought between the two.
on 30 October 2017
Very informative.
on 23 November 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in quantum mechanics; the parallels drawn with ancient mysticism provide a wider field of vision and provoke endless discussion.