Customer reviews

on 3 December 2016
Great 'behind the scenes book' about Joan's experiences of the war. I admire her honesty but feel slightly different towards some of the more affluent people in society who have been peddling this notion of 'we were all in it together'. Clearly not!
A great read and touches on some hot feminist issues and general girl talk which makes you love her like a friend.
on 26 October 2013
This diary tells of life in London's Chelsea in the early days of the WW2 from the teenager's viewpoint. Albeit an articulate, artistic and catholic teenager. Dealing both with falling bombs and bohemian sex with a matter of factness that is captivating. It then, when the author joins the WAAF, develops into a diary of life in the Air Force with the same directness.
One person found this helpful
on 9 November 2014
A fun and informative read on Jona Wyndham's life and times.
on 19 January 2014
'These few moments are worth all the suffering in the world to me and I have suffered so little for them - but I will pay, like Faust, with my soul.' And I thought, yes, I'm afraid you will.

WAAF capers, continued. In the first volume (Love Lessons) it's Pandora who quotes from Milton; here it's the splendidly named Oscarine, and, on page 38, a Yugoslav - all quotes gamely reproduced, not to mention the Yugoslav's crushing rejoinder 'it is so great that it nearly approaches silence', something of which our splendid diarist is never in danger. An early sighting of trucking (as in sixties slogan 'keep on trucking'), also cad used as a term of (almost) approbation
on 7 November 2015
Joan Wyndham is brilliant.
This diary, and the one before it (which I loved even more) should be famous.
Why they are not, baffles me.
If you liked Love in a Cold Climate and The Pursuit of Love you will like this.
I remember giving it to loads of male friends at university and they loved it too.
Buy, read, and make famous!
on 8 June 2008
Astonishing. Whatever the horrors of 2008 correctness, this is 2008 frankness, perhaps a virtue, in 1941
4 people found this helpful