Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 February 2016
This book is advertised as 'used - very good' but when it arrived I found that the book was really dirty with a horrible black sticky substance on the front cover. The book is still readable but I don't think I will bother reading it myself as the dirt is just off putting. Sorry to the seller but I don't even think a charity shop would accept this as a donation.
on 21 April 2001
I did enjoy "Talking to Addison" as a light weight read but Ms Colgan seemed to run out of steam as the plot moved from the sublime to the ridiculous. Addison was sweet, but some of the other themes were a bit heavy handed and unbelievable, which of course would be gladly forgiven for the laughs, but the laughs dried out and you were left with an impossibly silly plot and paper thin characters. Jenny Colgan is a talented writer who shouldn't sell herself short in this way. Funny, sweet but not funny or sweet enough.
on 10 May 2014
I ORDERED FOR THE FIRST TIME LIKE A SECOND HAND BOOK. ALTHOUGH THE BOOK IS IN PERFECT CONDITION IT IS STILL SECOND HAND. AND THIS WAS MY FIRST EXPERIENCE BUT I PREFER THE ORIGINAL ONES.

BUT THE BOOK I REPEAT WAS IN GOOD CONDITION AND DELIVERED AS EXPECTED.
on 5 February 2001
I was really looking forward to this, after Amanda's Wedding, which was sharp and funny without being too predictable. However, I was really disappointed with Talking to Addison. The book just meanders and goes nowhere, and when the plot finally kicks in it is very weak. I didn't relate at all to the characters, who were really one-dimensional. Don't waste your time reading it. Let's hope her next one is more like Amanda's Wedding.
on 12 February 2001
Amanda's Wedding was a laugh a minute - this began as a laugh but became a drag from quite early on. The problem was that I had no feeling of empathy with any of the characters - a wimpy heroine who couldn't fight her own battles, physical or mental; a career bitch; a weak boy with no personal direction; and Addison himself was an implausible computer freak - why would he attract her? There were lines that were clever and funny, but sadly too many that weren't. The story did not work for me at all.
on 26 December 2000
I got given this book for Christmas and finished it this morning (Boxing day). I really enjoyed the book and it was very easy to read. The main character Holly is easy to identify with and her flatmates are the typical weird mixture of characters that always seem to end up living together. The first half of the book i got through immediately, but i did get a little bit bored when Addison was in hospital and everyone starts to feel sorry for themselves. It does get better again towards the end and it is a nice change to read a book where none of the characters complain about their looks, but are not all drop dead gorgeous either. All the characters are believable real people - probably why i enjoyed it so much. Although i did get some funny looks from laughing out loud a few times. I recommend this book for when you have a day off to read it all at once. I'm now going to buy Jenny Colan's other books.
on 5 February 2003
Having read Amanda's Wedding and Searching for Andrew McCarthy, both of which I enjoyed, I thought it only best to read the second installment from Ms Colgan. To say I was disapointed would be an understatement. What started out as an ok sort of book with a fairly decent story quickly decended into a totally implausable plot and ridiculous characters.
I felt no sympathy for Holly, who could have been closer to 16 than 30, Josh, who just needed a woman and Kate, who was so overly stereotyped I had trouble even liking her.
The relationship between Holly and Finn was lame, and I didn't believe any of the attraction or passion between them.
Addison was possibly one of the only original characters in the whole book. The ending was poor and rushed and from the second half, the book seemed very fragmented and didn't gel, skippng wildly from one subject to the other. The seriousness of the particular situation was totally overlooked which made the characters appear selfish and self centered.
I have read many books in this type of genre, and very rarely want to put them down. With 'Talking to Addison', I had trouble even wanting to read it, but I persevered hoping there would be some redeeming feature. There wasn't. I always dread reading second books, knowing that they will probably not live upto expectations, and I'm afraid to say that this one fell well short of the mark.
on 6 March 2001
Jenny does it again. If you loved Amanda's Wedding, you'll love Talking to Addison. Ms Colgan comes out with another funny, whimsical book - with what appears to be her trademark Dark Side. I mean, how can a guy seriously injuring himself be funny?? Well, in Jenny's hands, it is. Don't ask, just read! Holly is like Mel in Amanda's Wedding - you find yourself rooting for her, but she sure can make a mess of things. Again, the supporting cast - from Josh to Claudia - is superb, and the work of a very creative mind. And Finn is one of my all-time fave "heroes".
on 1 November 2002
I have read Amanda's Wedding & throughly enjoyed it so I was definately looking forward to reading this. Talking to Addison is a warm, funny and believable story, i was quite sad to finish reading it as I wanted to continue peeking into the lives of these well written characters!!! I think im quite glad I couldnt imagine Chalis band though! I definately recommend this as a heart warming read that will have you laughing out loud in places, it has definately brightened up my lunch hours!!
on 10 June 2005
Amanda's Wedding is an extremly funny first book, full of one liners which make you laugh out loud. Talking to Addison is even funnier! There are several passages which made me laugh until the tears were streaming down my face. The characters are wonderful and very down to earth. This is an excellent second novel, a real must read!