Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 March 2005
This book made me laugh out loud, unusual for me. It isn't a life changing or even brilliantly written book but some of the one liners are great. My favourite has to be when he falls in the river ........ can't say more! Save it for a girly night/holiday/weekend ........ its light, funny and a great time passer
on 5 May 2016
Not as enjoyable as many other Jenny Colgan novels
on 19 February 2001
Her first book was brilliant - this is better! I really loved Amanda's Wedding when it came out last year, so I approached Jenny Colgan's second novel with anticipation but also a little trepidation - follow-ups to great first novels are often a bit of a let down. Luckily, this is as good as her first novel, if not better. Talking to Addison is as funny as Amanda's Wedding with all those one-liners and some scenes of outrageous comedy. But the characters are even more appealing, especially Holly, who's loveable and, frankly, a bit of a mess - just like most of us. If you're twenty-something you'll recognize your life, if you're over the hill (like me), you'll get very nostalgic and, at the same time, be a tiny bit relieved, that all the dodgy dates, dodgy jobs, dodgy flats and dodgy clubs are behind you (but it was kind of fun while it lasted!) The plot is quirkier and more unusual this time - it might take a bit longer to get into, but it's a lot more satisfying in the end, because it's not all weddings and dinner parties like most chick-fic, and things don't turn out anything like according to plan! You really care about all the characters,too, (apart from the nasty ones, like Farah) - not just the main ones - because even though they're all totally whacky they seem very real. Maximum entertainment with a feelgood factor.
on 16 October 2015
book arrived promptly and as described
on 28 December 2000
Like the last reviewer, I found this book extremely funny and I laughed out loud within the first few pages. It kept me chuckling to the end. I guess what bored me a bit is that this sort of Bridget Jones stuff - flat-sharing, sexy blokes, slightly neurotic heroine, is getting a bit cliche now. There isn't much depth to the characters and no grit or seriousness as a contrast to the comedy like you get in Marian Keyes. But on the other hand it is much funnier than the average Chick Lit novel - she has a very acerbic, witty, irreverent sense of humour. Buy it for the laughs.
on 6 June 2015
always a good read
on 3 January 2001
I love the style and content of Jenny Colgan's writing. The jokes and asides come thick and fast in this new book and I would recommend it as being well ahead of its competitors in the Chic-Lit genre. The characterization is strong in Talking to Addison and more believable than in similar books. I thought that the plot evolved well and did not see the twists coming at all.
Added to Jenny's short story (easily one of the best) in 'Girls Night In' last year, this is the third story I have read from her and I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
on 14 February 2001
This was my first chick-lit read and boy did it have me howling. There's a joke in every line it almost made me dizzy. The charecters were all really different and I particularly liked Addison (my boyfriend is a techno-geek, too, so I can see the attraction!)I read this in two days and want to recommend it to anyone who likes laughing. And we need some good lines in our TV sitcoms - maybe Jenny should write for TV?!!!
on 20 March 2001
I picked this up at a bookstore in Ireland after enjoying Amanda's Wedding. I'm so glad I did, because I discovered that it hadn't yet been published in the US. It was FABULOUS, laugh out loud funny. I actually thought it was even funnier than Amanda's wedding. Jenny Colgan is a very talented and original writer. I'm looking forward to her next project!
on 29 December 2000
A light and entertaining read but not really very gripping. The story, following Holly and her three flatmates, never really gets going, is predictable and even boring in parts. However the witty humor and Holly's down-to-earth character keep you laughing to the end. A good read if you want something light and funny.