Customer reviews

Good read, very funny
on 26 August 2015
Lovely read
on 16 November 2013
An easy read, although I found it quite emotional at times, as was very close to my life events.
Nice to have an unconventional ending.
One person found this helpful
on 6 December 2013
I like Isabel Wolff's writing style and generally find her books enjoyable. 'Out of the Blue' is an anomaly; it feels rushed, with weak, poorly-developed characters none of whom I liked or with whom I could feel empathy. The best bit: when it was over and my inner debate of whether or not to read to completion was resolved naturally. If you have yet to discover this author's normally humorous writing style, I'd start with one of her other works.
on 30 September 2014
It was okay and you get to know the handful of characters but I felt the story line was very predictable and the ending a bit of a non event.
on 24 May 2015
Not the authors best. The plot was okay, but I couldn't really relate to the main character.
on 11 March 2001
'Out of the Blue' is a gripping read from start to finish. Faith, the naïve heroine, engages our sympathy from the opening scene. We spend the rest of the novel either willing her to wake up and see things as they really are (the stability of her marriage, the duplicity of her new boyfriend, the wiles of the delicious Lily) or willing her on to achieve the happiness she deserves (as in the wonderful closing scene).
Faith is ably foiled by - a favourite character - her insightful daughter, Katie. Some of the most humorous scenes involve Katie's wry, Freudian insights into relationships. Like Faith's dog, Graham, Katie instinctively distrusts the new boyfriend, Jos. The scene where she pinpoints his fundamental untrustworthiness is one of the best in the book.
Isabel Wolff is an entertaining, thoughtful writer who has, in this her third novel, given us a story full of humour, sharp observation and pathos. Thoroughly recommended!!
7 people found this helpful
on 17 July 2001
This is the third of Isabel Wolff's romantic comedies and I wasn't sure if this one would live up to the expectations created by her previous two novels, but it did. The story focuses on the effects of infidelity, or rather suspected infidelity, on a long term relationship. The protagonist is rather gullible, but then again, she did get married very young and had never experienced the trials and tribulations of the heroine in Wolff's earlier novel, Minty Malone. The plot becomes rather complicated as you try to second-guess who's manipulating whom - the only honest character seems to be the amazing dog, Graham, who has to suffer watching his owners descend into needless marital strife. For anyone who's been married a long time, I'd say read this and take heed. Thankfully, it does have a positive ending!
5 people found this helpful
on 30 March 2001
Isabel Wolff's books are always page-turningly gripping and this one is no exception. From the minute Lily mischievously sows the seeds of distrust, I was gripped as to what Faith would find out about Peter. I felt that it was almost as though she *wants* to find out that he's been playing away. I've been married for eight years and I identified with Faith's inner emotional fatigue. She's happy. Life is good and yet... I had no idea what Lily was up to. Was it all a way to get a big story on Faith in the magazine? Was she after Peter herself? Did she secretly hate Faith? Did she want Faith to be a carefree singleton like her? I couldn't work it out until at the end it all became clear and I realised that all my guesses had been wrong. I didn't like Lily much, but she really made me laugh - her one-liners were brilliant. And I understood why she was so driven. The references to Othello were clever - Wolff has clearly turned the Othello/Iago relationship upside down. And to me that's the pleasure of reading a book by Isabel Wolff . It's chick-fick, sure, but at the same time it's exceptionally well written for the genre, is quite literary, but above all is also very funny. But this time there was quite a bit of sadness as well as Faith realises just what she's unleashed. She has only herself to blame for allowing Lily to manipulate her, and yet I didn't lose sympathy for her. The dog was a great character - an unwilling accomplice in Faith's search for evidence at the beginning, and her great comforter as things collapse. I also thought the weather metaphors worked really well. I read Out of the Blue in two days and can't wait to read Isabel Wolff's next book.
5 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2001
Many of us read light romantic fiction for sheer escapism - boy meets girl, both overcome some problem in their relationship, equals satisfyingly happy ending. Out of the Blue has all the necessary ingredients for a good, light-hearted read - save that the hero and heroine already happen to be married. Yes, their marriage will be saved, despite the hero's, and then the heroine's infidelity - but how? Isabel Wolff's plot of characteristic twists and turns unfolds intriguingly and ingeniously, leaving the reader wrong-guessing at times, until it reaches its inevitable happy conclusion. However, unlike much of the same genre, the author's blend of wry, at times throwaway, humour and clever characterisation, set this novel apart. The mix of characters - Faith's kind-hearted husband, strange daughter Katie and repellent friend Lily, not forgetting the anthropomorphic Graham - make compelling reading. The plot's twists and turns, with Faith's boyfriend Jos' 'secret' paramount, will make you want to read this book in one sitting - and then go back to pick up the nuances and clues you missed the first time round.
If you haven't read her first two books (which also bring the London scene alive in the mind of the reader) - The Trials of Tiffany Trott and The Making of Minty Malone - make sure you don't miss them either.
6 people found this helpful