on 21 February 2017
I wasn't sure how well this story would work when it incorporates a lot of detail about one of the most well known naval sea battles in what is a fictional tale, but it was slotted into "history" very well. I was aware that Nelson used a novel approach at Trafalgar by sailing head on towards the enemy fleet's broadsides, thereby making his own fleet vulnerable to cannon for a long period of time when they couldn't fire back, but the detail of what the British ships endured had rather escaped me. Cornwell spares the reader none of this and you are left astonished by the brutality of war and a great admiration for what was achieved by the British fleet on 21 October 1805. Of course Sharp is, as ever, the amazing warrior and killing machine but it is the small details that make Bernard Cornwell's books so enjoyable and his amazing, almost poetic, use of words.
on 5 July 2015
Newly promoted Sharpe boards ship to return to Britain, where he is to join the rifles. Sharpe falls for a married lady , having an affair on board ship. A traitorous captain sells the ship to the French with the aid of one of Sharpes earlier enemies. Eventually the ship is recaptured by the navy. Sharpe joins the ship which chases after the French, eventually they catch up with them and find the Royal Navy fleet . The battle of Trafalgar follows and once again Sharpe helps to save the day. Great story well written and despite being quite an old book now the story is great and I didn't put it down after I started to read it until I had finished.
VINE VOICEon 1 January 2016
I originally skipped this volume because I didn't think Sharpe and Trafalgar could go together - just too unrealistic. But curiosity got the better of me when Amazon offered it as a deal for 99p. I am pleasantly surprised, the story of the battle was interesting and the characters well drawn. Life at sea is neatly shown, including the deterioration of food/drink over a long voyage as well as the tedium and discomfort. A P&O cruise it certainly wasn't...
on 24 April 2018
Having read many of this author's books I was very taken by the passion of the battle and pre-battle details. Having served at sea during three wars I found the enthusiasm and spirit of many the characters still exist at sea today.
on 21 April 2014
this is my fourth sharpe , i found this one a little pedantic at times , however i did enjoy the descriptions of battles between the warships , having read similar before and also seen it described on tv it all seemed very realistic , injurties must have been horrific and if that did,nt kill you the surgery would . Sharpe has become ruthless now being a murderer and an accessory to murder added to his qualifications as an officer ,but not a gentleman. I am now started reading Prey and Sharpe is down on his heels with little cash ,
on 12 August 2014
Bernard Cornwell is, in my opinion [for whatever that is worth] the best historical author currently working in the world of narrative fiction; based upon real-life historical events. He pulls no punches in respect to the often extremely violent reality of life during the wide ranging periods of human history he has covered. The net result is an authentic and often contemporary feel, featuring a cast of flawed characters that the modern day reader can identify with [in some cases], and entertained by until it becomes quite addictive.
on 5 June 2016
I think I've read all of Bernard Cornwell's masterpieces but this book rates as one of the most memorable. I'm not sure about the way Sharpe finds himself into the battle but as usual Cornwell has done his research extremely well and anyone looking to get a human insight to the battle of Trafalgar need not look further.
on 15 September 2017
One of the better 'Sharpe' novels. I could almost smell the ozone. Having an easy-going senior officer, changed the dynamic for the better.

Would make a cracking film...
on 14 April 2018
Not sure Richard really can claim his part but a good second book for holidays
on 24 February 2014
I am a devoted fan of the tv series and actually watch it every time it is on no matter how many times I have seen it. As an avid reader it was only natural that I should buy the complete set of these books and I am really looking forward to reading them, I just hope they don't let me down.