on 21 July 2017
I found Patrick O'Brian a very hard read to start with , it took me a long time to get used to his writing style , but once I got my head around my initial problem with his style of writing , I have not been able to get enough of this series of books, they are full of historical action and are a must read for those who like their books in the Angus Donald, Bernard Cornwell or Steven A McKay vein , they are a brilliant mix of fact and exciting fiction
on 27 April 2017
Another really good mixture of a sea-going adventure with philosophy of the time and of all time.
on 19 May 2017
Book after book, O'Brian delivers outstanding reading with such detail you could believe you were there.
on 19 July 2017
Excellent service, no problems
on 16 June 2017
Condition fine for price and arrived OK. Wonderful author.
on 11 June 2014
Wonderful series. Not to be missed. A must for all sea lovers and readers of discern. Recommended for all readers.
on 5 April 2017
I have been looking for this printing of this book and am happy to finally have it
on 20 February 2014
I started reading this series of books after watching the Master and Commander film expecting that they would be, as books often are, better than the film.Sadly I don't now think this is so. O'Brian gets himself and the reader lost is archaic language for the sake of it to the point where this is far more important than maintaining the plot. I am finding the books boring. Having read such masters of the genre as Nicholas Monsarrat, C S Forrester and Alexander Kent I find these books fail to thrill in quite the same way. They have made me realise though that the writers of the screen play and the film director of Master and Commander did a remarkable job of creating viable three dimensional characters and scenarios from these 2 dimensional works.

I shall endeavour to complete reading the books in the hope that they may get better however it will be as and when they become available from the public library as I do not intend spending any more money in buying them.
on 27 May 2002
I am gradually working my through the Aubrey/Maturin novels and it has been an absolute pleasure.
This book continues the series in fine style, with O'Brian's narrative changing pace to suit the events being described to perfection. His descriptions of ship to ship action in the age of sail are quite simply the best I have read. But in this book he also contrasts this with the dreary monotony of home life for the Royal Navy captain on half pay who longed for the sea.
The scene setting by O'Brian really allows you to imagine what the Mauritius area was like in the time of fighting sail. But he is equally adept at painting a picture of his characters as he is at describing locations, the states of the sea and naval maneuveres. I felt this was especially evident in this novel where Aubrey is joined by three other captains whose relationships and rivalries are brought to the fore and add a great deal of interest to the story.
I enjoyed 'The Mauritius Command' more than any other O'Brian book thus far so my advice is if you liked his others you'll love this so buy it!
on 17 September 2000
Patrick O'Brian has the skill to take you on a journey which, although based on fictional characters, carries you to an exciting and different age, to a world being forged by men with character and determination. This book is no exception. Anyone who has read the dry factual accounts of this campaign in the Indian Ocean in 1810, will be held captive by Mr O'Brians Jack Aubrey, leading a dull domestic life which many of us who perhaps seek adventure recognise, given a command, a commodores pennant, and in the company of Stephen Maturin travels to The Cape of Good Hope to again deal with the French fleet. His acting rank also sees him managing the contrasting Captains under his command.