on 28 February 2013
Moonseed was recommended to me by a friend a few years ago and I am now on my third copy, I literally wore the first two copies out through reading and re-reading this brilliant book.
The story flows really nicely and would appeal to non sci-fi readers. This is one of my favourite books of all time and I hope to have many more years reading it.
on 14 November 1999
Stephen Baxter's Moonseed is a disaster tale on epic scale. When an Edinburgh University technician gives his sister a vial full of stolen moondust a chain of events is set into motion that will threaten the earth's very existence. Battling this calamity is NASA scientist Harry Meacher who must attempt to understand the threat facing the planet.
This book is full of scientific and geological detail and at times could almost most a geological textbook Through his use of detail Baxter manages to make the sometimes far-fetched plot thoroughly believable. However in places the plot is slow to develop and after so much heavy detail in the early stages of the work the climax is surprisingly weak, and the novel all but tails off, leaving the reader very dissatisfied. Fans of Baxter's work and of this genre of fiction will almost certainly enjoy the work, others may find it a little heavy going.
This is the first Stephen Baxter book I have read, and I must say for most of this book I was very impressed. The handling of the science and the characters was wonderful, introducing people for only a few scenes but giving us enough info and background to miss them when they were gone.
The major drawback with this book was the handling of the ending which felt rushed and did not really fit with the rest. It left me feeling disapointed as for most of it the story details, everything was smooth and engrossing and all this is missing from the handling of the end. 5 stars for the majority of the book but it does lose some.
I will certainly read more Baxter books, but with hope they are more complete.
on 28 November 2013
The end seemed rushed; we suddenly started skipping five, ten years at a time. Would have been better to have written a second book instead of summaring the end: there were a lot of stories that were missed. However, a good read and a page-turner up to that point. The description fo the science was well-written: accessible without being condescending. Worth reading.
on 18 April 2015
Interesting concept, I am fast becoming a big fan of Stephen Baxter, I enjoy the idea that his books, while being sf, have their roots in known ideas/concepts - they are obviously meticulously researched. I would have to say that I slightly preferred 'Voyage' to 'Moonseed', although this book is still a great read (hopefully it never happens, as I am a Scot!)
on 7 September 1999
Moonseed takes the disaster novel to an extreme, mixing sci-fi convincingly with a fair sprinkling of fact, enough to make you think. This book provides a interesting spin on "life out there", while trying hard to hint that space exploration shouldn't be bogged down in politics.
Worth reading, especially if you come from Edinburgh.
on 25 September 2014
Slightly less apocalyptic science fiction based on geology! Although like many of Baxter's stories the whole world is ending, this has a clever twist that finishes the story on an upbeat.
on 5 June 2015
Loved the geological aspects of this novel, whilst the plot is incredible, Baxter makes the story seem plausible-the best of the trilogy: it can be read as stand alone.
on 14 September 2013
I enjoyed it but it seemed to take so long to get where it was going. The characterisation didn't really work subtly enough to make them matter as individuals.
on 23 November 2016
Really don't understand all the criticism of this book. An early work of Baxter's...a fine author honing his craft. Thoroughly enjoyed it.