VINE VOICEon 9 January 2007
Really great art has the ability to leave you bereft. For instance when the Jam split up I was distraught. I was even more distraught when I heard the Style Council but the absence of that band( The Jam) from my life meant the future looked suddenly bleak. Of course I got over it, yet I still feel the same when certain things slip out of my life and I know I will never get that anticipation of re-joining them for new adventures. "Blackadder Goes Forth" got me like that and here's the rub, so did "Fools Fate".

I have followed the adventures, trials, tribulations and travels of royal assassin Fitz from the very first book "Assassins Apprentice" and though it sounds rather trite and shallow Fitz has become like a mate. I realise he's only a fictional character , that he doesn't in actual fact exist , but all the same I really , really care what happens to him. Fitz isn't perfect..he worries too much , he procrastinates and frets .In truth he needs to lighten up a bit but to me and no doubt countless other readers he is so beautifully drawn a character, as indeed are most the characters in Robin Hobbs books , that he could be real . We suffer with him, understand his frustrations and fears and revel in his rare moments of freedom and joy. In short we empathise.

Which is why , despite being completely bereft at reaching the conclusion of that last of the six books featuring Fitz Chivalry I was oddly moved and almost surreptitiously happy that he achieves some measure of peace and contentment at the end of his eventful journey throughout the "Six Duchies". The last volume is wonderfully written as always, with hugely satisfying plot strands alluding to events and characters from previous books while maintaining an insistent and mesmerising momentum to the proceedings that tie everything together.

Of course I can always read the books again and undoubtedly will do and will enjoy them immensely as I did on first reading them. But there is nothing like acquainting yourself with something for the first time and relishing each delicious encounter between Fitz and the Fool, Chade etc afresh. A superb series of books with a fittingly ambitious and emotionally satisfying conclusion. A fantasy trilogy which though it lacks "Lord of the Rings" epic scale is every bit as good and should be adapted for the cinema if someone in film land has their head screwed on ....So that's a no then .
on 9 February 2014
I have read the Farseer trilogy, the Liveship Traders trilogy, the Tawny Man trilogy and have just finished the first Rain Wilds Chronicles book. To say I'm a bit of a Hobb fanatic would be fairly apt.

Fool's Errand is an incredibly well-written book that demonstrates just how much of a genius Hobb is. Little bits mentioned in the first two trilogies are used prominently throughout the Tawny Man trilogy and really make you see just how clever she has been in setting this world up. Fool's Errand follows Fitz once more, 15 years on from his previous adventures during The Red Ship Wars. Now living as a recluse in the countryside with his wolf and foster-son, Fitz is soon, unwillingly, forced back into service for the crown.

Characters of old return and new ones enter the story, setting themselves up to be some of the most memorable characters of the series. One aspect this book has that the ones before it didn't is the ability to hit you hard with emotion. Can be a tear-jerker at times just as much as it can make you smile.

To anyone who has read the previous Hobb trilogies I am shocked you read this review. You should know enough to just click buy and enjoy your purchase. To those who haven't, you really do need to read the books that came before it (even the Liveship traders) as Hobb crosses the series over during the Tawny Man trilogy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 June 2014
We are now 15 years on from the events of the Assassin's trilogy, and Fitz has removed himself from the political intrigue of court for a simple life with Nighteyes and an adopted son (or so he thinks!). Now known as Tom, his life seems a million miles away from Buckkeep, but of course it was never going to last, and he is dragged right back into the mainstream of things by his friend the Fool, whose character develops by the page, though you are never sure of who, or what, he (or she) actually is.
Another great start to this trilogy, developing characters and storylines from earlier books, and Hobb draws you right back in to her fantasy/historical world within the first few pages.
It's a long time since I have enjoyed a series so much
on 3 June 2015
Fitz is one of my favourite characters in literature, I feel like I've watched him grow up from a boy, and I am madly in love with Nighteyes. I enjoyed this gripping book, Robin Hobb still gives good story, but I just didn't think it was as good as the first three books. Come to think of it, none of the Fitz books, although worthy reads, were ever as good as the original Assassin's Apprentice. Still, I will continue with the next two books in this trilogy, as I am not ready to let Fitz go yet. I want to get onto the new trilogy Hobb is writing about Fitz, so that I can see what he's like when he's the same age as me!
on 21 June 2017
Yes a good ending to this trilogy and a gentle prep for the final trilogy. After reading the f and f final trilogy I went back to this the tawny man tri. It was such a nice way of reminding myself what went before and came after. Though the pale woman is a nasty piece of work, it's great that the dragons are back
on 20 April 2013
Brilliant to return to Fitz's story as much as it is the Fools. Some parts are a bit slow as the Fraser trilogy is remembered but as it can be considered a stand alone trilogy I can see why some things need explaining although it is beyond me why someone would read this and not the Farseer books.

I thought it was a shame that we miss some of the characters from before but seen as how some if them died theirs not a lot that could be done about that although I did hope that a certain character would share a few thoughts at a certain point and was slightly disappointed although it fitted well with the storyline.

I wouldn't read any spoilers first as the book yields a few surprises and is as pleasing to read as other Robin Hobb books. You won't put it down and I would recommend buying the trilogy as a set because you will need to reed them all.
on 5 January 2016
as I work my way for the second time through the farseer trilogy, the tawny man trilogy and the fitz and the fool duo ( to date ), I have been wondering why the difficulty of putting aside (temporarily ) whatever is the current book ,seems a familiar feeling. then it dawned on me - I am gripped by a compulsion not unlike the Skill-tug attraction so often encountered by Robin Hobbs' characters....... a constant temptation to plunge back into a fast-moving tide of narrative where anything can happen. I had no idea that re-reading would yield such rewards: once you have got the "what happens next ? ' itch scratched, you begin to notice tiny crucial details , which on first reading meant nothing. having also taken in the liveship trilogy, I can now see links and explanations, which make the second readings such a joy. I also notice the beautiful, precise writing, which I galloped over first time round. the experience reminds me of when I first encountered Lord of the Rings in the 60s. how can I wait until summer 2016 for the final volume ?
on 14 November 2012
I had read and enjoyed each book of the Farseer trilogy in a fairly short space of time and decided immediately upon finishing the last of those three books that I wished to continue with the tale of Fitz, as opposed to reading any other of Robin Hobbs books first.
The characters that were central to the last book are all introduced quickly and fairly comprehensively; although in a manner that did not leave me thinking :"i know! I know! Ive read the books"
If you liked the previous style and books of Robin Hobb, you will enjoy this. It is clearly the first in another trilogy. Although there is a natural conclusion to this book, you know that it will lead you smoothly and swiftly to the next episode; (which is what I am reading now).
on 25 March 2015
Before discovering Robin Hobb, I never actively sought out fantasy books. I came across her books by accident some months ago and since then, I have been hooked. 'Fool's Errand' is a must for anyone who has read the 'Farseer' trilogy as it reunites the reader with the characters Fitz, the Fool and Nighteyes in another brilliantly written tale. Robin Hobb's writing expertly draws you in to the story and carries you along with it. The characters and settings are utterly believable and the storyline is captivating. The inevitable loss of a significant character towards the end was one of the most sensitive and moving pieces of writing that I have ever read - I defy anyone not to be moved to tears when they read it.
on 21 May 2013
Robin Hobb really continues the fantastic work already achieved in live ship traders, farseer trilogy and rainwild chronicles. I recommend you read these brilliant series first before picking up the tawny man trilogy, the writer has written a rich tapestry of a world and it plays out in all these three series in prelude to Tawny Man Trilogy.

I started with the farseer trilogy and although i dont know if it was intended, a reader should start their journey through the writers world with this series.

Move from there onto the liveship traders and then onto the rainwild chronicles and if you still havent had enough of this amazing world pick up the tawny man trilogy. By the time you reach this trilogy it will be well worth the wait.

Would I recomenned this as a stand alone trilogy? I wouldnt. But thats because its not doing the Author justice, she has created such a rich and diverse world i personally think it should be enjoyed in full.

buy these books!

trust me! i read alot of books!