on 26 March 2017
Having loved the earlier Feist novels, I've read as many as possible. I'm not a massive fan of the Serpentwar Saga though - it feels very drawn out and lacks some of Feist's usual flair. This is probably my favourite book of the Serpentwar series though.
on 13 March 2017
A little disappointed as the plot was developing well but then was resolved by pug saying I've had enough. I felt cheated
on 9 August 2017
As described excellent service.
on 28 September 1999
As I have been in a reading frenzy of Feist books for the last year, from the Magician to the Sepentwar Saga, I found this book cleverly written but not as exciting as the first ones. Maybe that comes with a familiarity of characters, but Pugs characteristics and motives seems to be transparrent here. However, I can only applaud the way that Arutha, Dash, James and Patrick have been woved into this part of the story. Dealing with their own "ghosts" and the continuously moving events seems very real to life.
This is more of a set of personal struggles being overcome rather the the good guys against the bad guys kind of book. The only thing that really leaves me wondering about is, "who is Nakor?". His character and past are revealed more in this book than any other in the series, and yet you still find yourself knowing very little about him. Its that strange conflict, that again can happen in real life, that makes it such a point of interest.
I guess the whole of the books of the Serpentwar saga could have been reduced somewhat in volume, but now Feist has a set of people with real characters of their own. Not just puppets of the writers whims. I know he has written more books, and I want to read them, but I want to believe that the excitement will come back to his books.
on 25 May 1999
I sometimes wonder what people really want. Any series as long running as this is bound to get somewhat familiar. IF anything, it's a tribute to Raymond E Feist that he can still entertain with this. In particular, I gotta say that I can never get tired of Nakor's whimsical view of life, no matter how much religious fervour he takes on. Sure, there are only so many times you can battle the Valheru, or grow characters that are already staggering. It was with this is mind that I was particularly pleased with the larger roles given to James & Dash, allowing relatively new characters to come more to the fore. It's no Magician, but then nothing is. It's still a damn good book, written in Feist's normal readable style, and is well worth the read, especially considering the lack of really good authors in this genre. Keep it up Raymond.
on 21 September 2002
To be honest I agree with both the praises and criticisms of the book. Yes it was not the most original book, or ground breaking however it did expertly bring the end to an otherwise excellent series. Of course, it does not capture the Riftwar's magic but on it's own it is a superbly written series, and this last book was no exception.
Feist did not sell out and re-hash time-worn fantasy cliches. Instead he kept it real and believable and this was demonstrated in the unceremonial deaths of many key characters, keeping them real and brutal - not overdressing.
I was worried when reaching the end of the book as so much was going on with little pages left. However Feist created a well thought out and un-rushed conclusion. Although it has shamefully left the door open to further adventures (as has been noted), the truth is you want more...
on 10 April 1999
I love the characters, I love the ideas - but what's the difference? What's new? So I don't mind authors debating with themselves a little in books but when that becomes a main focus it's ridiculous. It seems all the time was spent on Nakor's whimsical fantasies and religious revelations but little thought was given to developing a new and interesting plot. Please don't be another one of those churn-em-out authors whose readers keep buying in the hope that something new will appear. Although, full marks for the characters, they're still as lively as ever even though they're still just trying to bash up the ugly-buglies.
on 22 March 1999
Feist is not only an excellent Fantasy author his books, especially this one, have the mark of a philosopher, and you should read this book if only for his original ideas on magic and evil. I found this, the fourth book in the Serpentwar saga a fitting conclusion with even more incredible action scenes that propel the reader into the world of Midkemia and the fight for good to overcome. The characters were again well-rounded and for all fans of Pug and Nakor, they feature for longer than in many of the other books accompanied by Tomas and Miranda. Other characters from the saga like Erik and Calis are central and their efforts for peace make for a book one cannot put down. The only flaw I can find is that the end is so intriguing I can't wait for the next saga. Feist is a brilliant author and gifted story-teller and the conclusion of his excellent Serpentwar saga is no exception
on 1 December 1999
I have read other people's reviews and thought i was reading a different book. The serpent war saga was brillant and I enjoyed more than the riftwar saga. Feist's charactors got better and better as the saga went on and i think Shards did the saga justice.
on 31 August 1999
I just finished reading this last week, after going back through the rest of the Serpentwar Saga to catch up. As usual its tremendously compelling reading, turning up excellent characters and scenes time and again, but I REALLY didnt like the ending. In my opinion, Feist is one of the best, behind Gemmell, Anthony, McCaffrey, and far outstrips Jordan and Eddings for quality. But the ending isnt very good. The entire buildup seems to disintegrate, with one of the major characters changing the entire course of events in just a few pages. And killing off characters for no good reason towards the end really doesnt help matters. All in all, it went a bit anti-climactic at the end, but the whole saga is excellent. Lets hope for more of the same in his next books, and if you're about to read this book, I suggest you stop reading about three quarters of the way through and assume it all turns out OK.....