on 13 January 2006
In this sequel to Shadow of a Dark Queen, author Raymond Feist takes us back to his magical world of Midkemia. Time is growing short now, as the Kingdom of the Isles braces for the coming invasion by the Emerald Queen's army. Erik von Darkmoor is feverishly training new soldiers, but will the Armies of the West be ready? And, as for Rupert Avery, his live of dissipation and intrigue are starting to wear him down, but he is caught in a larger intrigue, and much is going to happen to him that he has never expected.
Raymond Feist's Riftwar books all great great, with epic adventure and magic, while his later books enjoyed a somewhat smaller scope. This book is definitely an epic book; indeed I would say the greatest of the epic books. This is a story of a war that spans an entire world, and even includes demons and gods in a war of winner-take-all!
Overall, I found this to be a great story. I loved its huge scope and high stakes - it is the grandest of grand adventures! If you want to read a story with a large scale adventure that will leave you on the edge of your seat, then this is the book for you. I loved this book and give it my highest recommendations!
on 14 April 2013
This is the third book by Feist I have read. The other two being the previous episodes in this series. Of the three this is the weakest which is a great pity as the two earlier books promised so much. I think the book lost its way in the 2nd quarter where a make believe theology was discussed at much to greater length. Some may find this detailed analysis of a fictional pantheon of gods and the problems they cause the mortals in this tale enjoyable, I didn't but could have put up with it if it hadn't taken the author so long to get through it.

A number of big holes appear in the plot at the end of the book. I won't explain them as it will ruin the plot for later readers. It is very annoying though.

On the positive side there are some soundly developed characters in this series. I will give Feist one more chance to bring me round. I will give him this chance because he is so close to delivering something good.
on 19 January 2000
Come on I wasn't joking. Drop whatever you are doing now and beg, steal or borrow yourself a copy of The Serpentwar Saga. This series has kept me completely enthralled throughout and I can't wait to get onto the next book. Time and again Mr Feist has had me reading into the wee small hours, desperate to know the fate of our intrepid band of unlikely heroes. There is one downfall to an epic saga such as this, soon it's going to end and then I'm going to be at a loss for what to do. How am I going to use the hours I've put aside each day to finish this epic? I could finally get some sleep I suppose!!
on 30 December 2013
This is part of the four-part Serpentwar series and as such, you’ll just have to start at the first one and work your way along to this third book. Erik the Blacksmith has now been a part of the army so long that he has risen to high rank, fighting the Emerald Queen’s army across continents - only to find she’s not as it seems… once you finish this volume you’ll buy the next one.
on 20 March 2011
This series has been my first foray into Raymond E Feist work and I must say I did enjoy this book, the saga unfolding into desperation for the Kingdom and the heroes facing a daunting task, it is well written with vivid detail, so much detail in fact you have to be well rested to read his books, no skimming here, but the story is rich and exciting and would recommend his work and I am now looking to purchase some more of his previous and later novels.
on 20 January 2013
I enjoyed the Serpentwar as I have enjoyed all of Raymond E Feist's book. I like how the history of each story is linked through the ages, with son's of famous fathers continuing the battles. Good continuity. Yet another great read.
on 13 September 2010
half way through the book and cant put it down!third book in this saga and is just as good as the last!i shall be sad when it's finished!
I'm reviewing Feists' (and those involved with him) works in Chronological order. Unfortunately for some books there are new books and covers being re-released in March 2013 so reviews for the old books can no longer be posted.

Anyway this review is for the chronological reading of books by Feist and others that all link Medkemia and Kelewan and form the Riftwar Saga, Legacy and beyond. This one is for Rage of a Demon King.

The order is:-

Krondor: The Assassins 3 Stars
Krondor: Tear of the Gods 3 Stars
Prince of the Blood 5.5 Stars
The Kings Buccaneer 4 Stars
Shadow of a Dark Queen 6 Stars !!
Rise of a Merchant Prince 3.5 Stars
RAGE OF A DEMON KING 5 STARS

Rage of a Demon King had the hairs on the back of my neck rising in the first dozen pages. The depiction of the Demon world and their aspects was brilliant. It had all the hallmarks of a great horror and I was actually dissapointed when we cut back into the world of Midkemia again. The continuation of the Serpent Wars Saga is brilliant and sad. It's brilliant in that this is just a huge roller-coaster of adventure and action and epic in it's scale and the huge conflict and war was really well done. Something few writers can deal with in a book. On the other hand this gave Feist the oppertunity to clean up a lot of things in his world and never in any book have I seen so many characters die. I mean they drop in their droves from all the books in the huge series of adventures. I guess it needed a clean up as I was starting to get lost when you had characters from magician running around, their kids and then their kids kids (grandchildren) ... it was all getting a bit much and I think he started to get tired of having to feature little bits of them throughout the book. Still it was a huge sadness to see some of them go. I won't spoil it here but you will be shocked at how many of your favourites bite the bullet. Awesome read. Thanks Raymond.
on 5 October 2013
Well, the serpent war saga comes to an end which raises new possibilities with new boundaries of opportunity. A gripping read punctuated with sorrow, joy and understanding. The development of the universe is captivating and the understanding of the people in it is unrelenting in its creativity.
on 11 January 2008
I enjoyed the first two books of this series but the third was a bit dissapointing and I don't think up to the usual quality of Raymond Feist. Just like most works by David Eddings - at the end of the book most conversations end in "It's a long story, I'll tell you some time", or "I must tell you about it another time". Almost like he couldn't be bothered to give us any depth. And then plot mechanics where characters just "know" what they're supposed to do but they "can't explain it" and Feist can't explain it to is. The whole end sequence with the Lifestone for instance.

I was going to write more, but maybe I'll tell you about it later . . . .