on 10 March 2017
One of the all-time best sci-fi novels ever written. Absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. A must read, a must experience.
on 15 April 2017
Revolutionary genre defining, here's hoping that the Chris Cunningham movie goes ahead!
on 29 April 2017
On time, as expected, no hassles, Happy
on 1 June 2017
The original Matrix story. Please read this!
on 6 June 2017
A classic
on 11 March 2017
A really interesting book, very gripping, purchased as an e-book it has the occasional typo-the instead of they-but is very well written, you have to pay attention, and remember things long enough as they may not make sense right away but they will be explained a little later on, it's not a very optimistic view of our future, with people still taking drugs, gangsters and people going hungry, but it is a fascinating world William Gibson has created, with technology details beyond anything of current understanding and it was written decades ago, he was a very clever man and I am really looking forward to his next book.
on 27 April 2017
I was given this book by a friend who wanted me to read it, and so I had high hopes to begin with – they’ve read a few books that I’ve written, and they have a good idea of my taste in literature. So I was a little disappointed when I got into it.

The main problem here is that the futuristic dystopia that Gibson depicts is so alien to our own that it’s often hard to understand what he’s talking about. I was able to understand what was happening in the overall plot, but the little intricacies were lost on me and I kept finding myself either drifting off or getting confused when a plot twist happened. I kept not realising it was a twist because I didn’t know what was happening to begin with.

The story follows a character called Case, who’s injected with tiny sacks of mycotoxin that bond to his artery walls and threaten to eventually disintegrate, killing him. The only way for him to avoid death is to take on a mission for a man who says he has the antidote. Case’s skills lie in weird sci-fi obscurity, involving the ability to connect to a weird Matrix thing and see events through other people’s eyes.

I usually like science fiction, but this was such hardboiled sci-fi that I’d say it’s only for die-hard fans of the genre. That’d be why it won Hugo and Nebula Awards. At some points, it reminded me of William Burroughs, which can be equally difficult to read. But this wasn’t William Burroughs and for me, it just wasn’t much fun to read, and I was glad when I finally finished it.

Overall, then, this is the book for you if you’re into classic sci-fi. If you’re not, don’t bother. It’s pretty much that simple.
on 12 August 2015
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
— opening sentence of Neuromancer (William Gibson, 1984)

Do you wonder what the future might hold? Where technology in all its forms is taking us - genetic engineering, artificial intelligence, surgery - and how it will affect what it means to be human? What might it be like when mega-corporations have more power than governments; when the natural environment has been destroyed by greed and the only place to escape from the densely-populated planet is through drugs or virtual reality?

Welcome to cyberpunk.

It sounds bleak, and in many ways this genre’s visions of the future are - even the protagonists tend to be burnt-out and emotionless drug-addicted shells. But the best works in the genre satisfy on two levels: they are intellectually stimulating, as ideas and concepts zoom past faster than you can catch them; and they are almost guilty pleasures, as the fantastic locales and believable characters pull you into the virtual worlds of the story, similar to the way the protagonist of Neuromancer, Case, jacks in to Cyberspace (the in-novel pinnacle of human-computer interaction - think ‘Second Life’, but more immersive, better-looking, and without the lag).

Some people are put off at first by the jargon of the near-future - they think that they need to understand it all, and have missed something otherwise. However, just let it wash over you and become part of the immersion - and let the world-picture build up at its own pace, data building on data to construct the hi-res image of a possible future. Then the story will do the rest: hackers and revenge; surgically-enhanced assassins who only see the world through filters; personalities smashed then stuck back together by the military; mysterious intelligences directing our actions; and a conspiracy-uncovering finale aboard a space station for the rich.

In 2008 I chose Neuromancer as my 'recommended book' for a World Book Day display in a library I worked in. I selected it because it set the pattern for this whole genre when it blazed across the sci-fi sphere in 1984; also because the story needn’t end there, there are two follow-up novels in what is sometimes referred to as the ‘Sprawl Trilogy’ - Count Zero (1986) and Mona Lisa Overdrive (1988).

If you like science fiction you should read these; if you don’t normally read this genre, or have never experienced cyberpunk, then it could be an opportunity to branch out! If you enjoy the themes that occur in these novels then I also recommend Free Radical by Shamus Young, available online for free. Free Radical is a complete cyberpunk novel based loosely on the cult System Shock computer game.
on 29 May 2017
Great imagination in futuristic details but predictable and not enough overall vision.
on 24 May 2017