on 21 June 2017
I enjoyed the first of the trilogy a was happy to get hold of this second installment.
It was pretty much a reset, with Fitz sickly and prince regal in full control of the situation.
It's like the events at the end of book one were erased, the red ships still raid and the forged ones still roam.
Regal still plots and his coterie are up to no good.
Overall, it was slowly paced and had less action than the first one but maybe the third will improve
on 9 January 2016
While I really did enjoy the first book this one really starts to lose it's way. There are plenty of flaws with the story and the actions of several of the characters but my main issue is that the main character (Fitz) does not seem to have grown in character at all from the first book. Despite growing from a boy to a young man he hasn't changed. He is still self absorbed and childishly whiny and never seems to learn from what he does. It actually becomes quite annoying and I found it harder and harder to sympathise with the character or even understand his actions.

In the end I've forced myself to finish it. I will also end up reading the third because I've started now and I'm that type of person that can't just stop but it is not the gripping tale all the positive reviews set it out to be.
on 7 August 2017
I really enjoyed the second book in the Farseer Trilogy.
I did, however, find it harder to get into as not much happens in the first half.
It tends to be the fate of many books that are second in a trilogy. Can't have too much happen or give too much away.
Despite this, the second half was excellent and the ending left me wanting more! Looking forward to starting the third when I receive it.
on 18 November 2015
I much prefer the Robin hobbs style of writing from this author. And love the world she has created of the six duchess with the assasin and tawny man books and also love the bingtown traders mad ship set. Looking forward to reading the dragon follow on that I have not read yet.
I had all the others in paperback and read royal assassin recently after already enjoying the depth of the characters and storyline in the othe books from these series. If you like sci-Fi fantasy this is a must read. I have read so many books in this genre and Robin hobbs style is one of the best I have come across.
on 26 March 2017
The Farseer trilogy is amazing. Hobb has a writing style that just has me unable to put the book down, even in early hours of the morning. I've cried over characters and I don't think I've felt this emotionally invested in characters in many books before.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 June 2017
This one continues the series with almost the same sense of authenticity that the first generated. I found it less gripping than the first and as the supernatural side grew in importance it became less convincing.
on 29 April 2017
One of my all-time favourite series. Great writing, amazing characters, fantastic plot. But do read Assassin's Apprentice first.
on 23 June 2016
Too much made of the hero's feelings and not enough of his adventures. Gets tedious!
on 7 August 2017
Quite good but have read better
on 10 March 2015
Not my favourite of the trilogy, found it to be a bit forced - but still readable, especially as the third book again picks up pace and quality...don't be put off to read more