on 5 August 2015
I initially resisted reading this series as I have usually found when people rave about a book it tends not to be very good! Fifty Shades of Grey springs to mind! However, once I had read a few chapters I was well and truly hooked and I am just about to start the third book in the series. I think if you havent read it yet, give it a go
on 7 October 2014
If you love Game of Thrones and have read all the books before this, you have to read this one. Having said that, I admit I find this book pretty hard going. If only they had left out some of the long family history of every character that we meet on the way no matter how fleeting, and the long descriptions of how they are dressed and why, they would have been able to get these chapters and the following book into one easier to read volume and get on with the story. Sadly not as exciting as previous volumes but still worth a read if you want to know what happens next.
on 30 November 2012
I don't like fantasy novels as a rule but this feels historically accurate even though it is set in an entirely made-up world. In a way I think it gives more insight into medieval Europe and the violent intrigues of kings and queens than any work of fiction I have ever read or watched. It may sound ridiculous to say that when the series eventually includes magic, sorcery and dragons, but they are introduced gradually as part of a perfectly realised feudal society which lays bare the filth, corruption and poverty that most works of fiction, even classical fiction, avoid. (Let's face it Shakespeare's world is as artificial as Tolkien; kings and queens didn't really speak in blank verse or ponder metaphysics, they were too busy killing and torturing people to hang on to their wealth and power.). And Game of Kings it is not afraid to show that the good guys usually finish last and the victors are by and large the most devious, calculating and brutal. If it has a fault it is that the cast of characters is so huge it become almost impossible to remember who is who and there are times it feels as if things are simply being dragged out for the sake of stretching out the series to another novel. And most of the time you will enjoy it for the storytelling and intricate plotting rather than the quality of the prose. Tolkien was much more skilled at evoking the landscape of Middle Earth. But as others have said, this is like the Godfather with swords and that didn't tell you too much about the New York skyline either.
on 11 July 2013
George R. R. Martin's 'A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow' is a fantastically fluid read! Each chapter seeps into the one before perfectly as you, the reader, feel as though you have been transported into Westros and beyond, and are now standing alongside the characters you have come to know and love.

Martin has a unique style about him as you see the world all characters are within through vast glasses, most will admit they have a love for different characters, usually on differing sides and so you are not easily drawn to pick a side, king or queen, but rather spectate as the events unfold around you.

Every chapter holds a nugget of new information and nothing is placed in there just for the sake of it, Martin is far to cleaver for that and on second reading you begin to see subtle hints and one liners you may have thought irrelevant at the first reading - now all point forwards to a massive event that will take place soon, if you just keep reading.

This is a fantastic 'part one' to his third volume in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series - I am about to start part two... Exciting!
on 4 April 2016
This book arrived in good time and was in excellent condition for which I was very grateful. The reason being
i had just finished reading the volume before this and was on tenterhooks for the next volume
on 31 March 2016
In love with the series and books can't wait to finish part two of A Storm Of Swords. I also signed up to Audible and listen to the books as well. It's great to read and listen brings the character's to life.
on 8 November 2011
I went to read Game of Thrones after watching the show and found it hard to get into, but I assumed it was because I knew what was going to happen. I carried on reading the series and have just finished Book 3 part 1, and I have to say overall it's an ok read if you haven't got anything else to read.

Personally, I don't like the style it is written in, which I think is why I didn't enjoy the book that much. However, the story is quite good so it might be good to give it a go. If you have read the second book, A Clash of Kings, and liked it, I would say to read this book. :)
on 19 September 2015
Fantastic book. worth a read, not for those who don't like swearing and a bit of raw comedy, etc.
If you want to get lost in another world buy these books.

If you've seen the tv series, read the books, you learn so much more about westeros etc, and the characters.
on 1 November 2015
This is the third book in the series and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have watched all the series on TV but if anything that experience enhances my enjoyment of the books. If you are into science fiction and fantasy, this series is for you.
on 31 May 2015
I love the detail in these books. Although in depth description is the reason the books are so long, it paints a picture around you so you can easily represent yourself what the author is portraying within the story. Better than the TV series and ties up a few loose ends even though there are slight difference with the characters.