on 6 April 2017
have the full series not - love it
on 13 August 2015
I the condition I expected.
on 19 May 2011
I am in love with all the books about Duncton. After reading all six of 'em i can hardly believe that the world of Duncton Wood, Siabod, the Mores, ... doesn't exist.
Horwood creates the world in his imagination but he makes it real by writing it down.
I was often very touched by his books en they could even bring me to tears.
It makes me very sad that I've just finished Duncton Stone, and so will never experience the pleasure again of reading them without knowing what will happen on the next page.
I shall miss reading them.
I recommend it to everyone who likes a true travelling story that has every aspect you search for in a book: adventure, battles, love,...
But know what you're in for when you start reading, cause you don't take up one of this books without getting sucked in.

I hope you enjoy it and may the stone be with you!
on 25 June 2011
This is the last in the Duncton series and follows Privet and her companions as they search for the lost Book of Silence.
If you have read the other Duncton books then you will be aware that this is no cuddly tale of fluffy animals. This is probably the darkest book of all and contains some rather graphic descriptions of violence between the moles. However, once the middle chapters have passed, the mood does lighten considerably. As all works by this author, it is exceedingly well written, rich in character description and narrative. It is necessary to have read the first two volumes of the 'Book of Silence' trilogy as this doesn't work as a stand alone novel. This isn't light, holiday reading but it is a gripping tale which anyone who likes Watership Down will probably enjoy.
on 23 July 2000
The sort of book you get so immersed in that it's disorienting when you put it down and find yourself back in the real world. The characters are so well drawn through the writing, and the final part of the book is exceptionally moving.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2013
Recommended to me by a friend and I must admit was rather hesitant as a book about moles did not rate highly on my reading list. Read the entire series in sequence (the 3 Chronicles and the 3 Silence) and I thoroughly enjoyed every book. Tended to think of the moles as being human rather than mole as you follow their lives of love, war and peace through the ages. Quite brutal in parts. William Horwood is an excellent writer and I would commend these books to anyone over the age of 18!
on 22 September 2012
Another book in the Duncton series that does not disappoint. Would recommend to any fantasy book readers. Need to read prvious books in series.
on 27 April 1999
I've read all the Duncton novels and this is my absolute favourite. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it was fantastic. The characters were wonderful and the atmosphere created by Mr Horwood was superb. I couldn't put it down.
on 1 September 2012
Those that like Tolken and have a love of reading great long tales should try reading these books, they won't be disappointed.
on 30 April 2015
Again, another brilliant story in the mole saga.