Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 September 2017
Yet another excellent read , always a pleasure reading his works. If you've not experienced any, you're in for a treat.
on 28 August 2014
A great horror writer who will be greatly missed.
on 28 May 2017
Good captive read
on 21 June 2009
I thought this book was a good read!!
I couldn't put it down - fantastic!
on 15 December 2014
great
on 6 January 2016
Excellent
on 4 April 2017
James Herbert has been on my list to read for a while and when I spotted this, I couldn't help but pick it up. The Ghosts of Sleath is a psychic detective novel in which the investigator, David Ash, goes to a sleepy little town called Sleath when the daughter of a local vicar summons him for help. What follows is a myriad of twists and turns that David follows to reveal the real truth about the town.

The book is well written although at times it feels a little dated, but that didn't stop my enjoyment of it. The tale is a slow-burn as David works through the leads and clues he has in order to figure out what is really going on in Sleath and what, if any, involvement he might have in it. His character unfolds during the length of the story and we get snippets of information about him and I think it's really well done. You don't have to have read the first novel to read this as it all makes sense. Definitely a good read.
on 24 July 2009
James Herbert has been writing for a long time now, but he remains very popular. Personally I like his collective work which often concentrates on supernatural led horror. The 90s was not his best period as some of the books did not meet his usual standard; a good example of this is `The Ghosts of Sleath'. `Sleath' is perhaps the most by the numbers Herbert I have read to date and follows many of the beats that he has written before. A village is plagued by supernatural elements and a cynical investigator is sent in to see whether they are real or a hoax.

There are elements of the book that work well. The small vignettes that describe how individuals are haunted really stand out and show Herbert at his best. He is a very evocative writer and his use of language is wonderful. However, his language is also strangely old fashioned. `Sleath' more than any books feels out of its time. Written in the mid 90s it feels more like the 70s with old fashioned attitudes and writing style. Perhaps this is to indicate the isolation of the village - I think it's just poor writing. The book was too similar to other books by Herbert and came across as a poor man's `The Shrine' (one of my favourite books by the writer). This novel is still an enjoyable read and has some great moments, but as a whole it is not quite up to the standard of a man I would call a master of the genre.
on 15 September 2017
Great read
on 28 January 2012
I must admit I haven't read any James Herbert books for a long, long time. The last one I consumed was Others and that was excellent. This novel reminds me of I Am Legend by Richard Matheson but given a very British spin on things. It starts with an extended chase sequence and the pace never seems to let up. The words fly by and a very skilled writer takes you on a journey through a hellish London. James Herbert has put a lot of research and effort into this novel and it shows. This really is one of his best books and I strongly recommend it to any fan of James Herbert.