on 22 December 1999
This is the 3rd in the 5 book series, and for me the most action packed and exciting of them all. By now we (think) we know the characters very well and the ups and downs in this book keep you enthralled. Unlike the earlier books this one can appeal to a wider audience with a more standard sci-fi feel.
on 19 June 1998
In it's category, this gotta be one of the best books ever. I was totally absorbed, and went on to read the rest of the series. I was a little disappointed in the last book of the series, "This Day All Gods Die", but "A Dark and Hungry God Arises" had both extremely exciting plot development and excellent characters. I recommend the whole series to any serious SF reader. It is way better than the books of the Covenant series that I have read. Donaldson tends to be a bit longwinded, but the Gap series is so intense that you _want_ the length. Just superb.
on 27 May 1999
This book is an exciting, gripping conclusion to the Gap series. It is superb!!. Donaldson at his darkest and best.
on 26 April 2007
I read this book when it first came out over 10 years ago and I was interested in reading the readers reviews and found 3! After all these years?

I have read thousands of books, all Donaldsons books and nearly all the Fantasy what counts. THIS is without exception the best ever book I have ever had the pleasure to read. It is fast moving and powerful from the begining, then building up till an almighty explosive end. Ok to get to the last book is hard work but this last book just brings all the intrigue and loose ends all together. Truly wonderful Thank you Stephen Donaldson I honour you always.
Good in parts, frustrating in others - just like the characters - Nick was excellent - and Morn dire!
A good enough space opera, and if you play Eve Online - you'll like this!!
on 25 February 2013
This is my favourite author's 3rd book in a series and read before but was not disappointed I recommend these books :)
on 6 November 2014
I buy a lot of these because they are so good
on 8 September 2001
I read the whole series for some reason. Perhaps because I was sick at the time and the books were lying around?? I felt that the book could have been edited a lot shorter, maybe down to 20 pages or less.
The endless repetition of chapters titled; "Nick", "Angus", "Nick", "Morn", "Nick", "Nick", "Oh no, we did him twice", "Nick" --- telling the same (almost) non-story from about 3 angles again and again and again... made me very frustrated. In retrospect, I should have decided which character I wanted to read and given all the others a miss. I don't think I would have missed much.
In fact, you won't miss much if you don't read the whole series. The character development is fine; over-done to the point of distraction, at the expense of nearly everything else you would expect from a sci-fi adventure.
Besides this original, if not frustrating triple look at everything, the book has very little content. Donaldson can take six chapters to explain how Angus made a U-turn and blew something up.
This book will subtract time from your life.