on 20 May 2016
Very detailed
on 29 March 2015
Very good.
on 5 April 2013
This book for me has been a huge delusion, indeed usually I am very happy when I read an history book based on first-hand accounts, but here there just the accounts, and it is not just this, because the accounts are just on the Allied side, mainly British.
In conclusion here you read a lot of stories, but very little history.
If you want a good book about WWI , you can read the one written by Sir Basil H. Liddell Hart.
on 2 April 2015
Far too long. Badly edite. I.E. Harold Macmillan is referred to twice as serving as a military office before it states 'Harold Macmillan, a future prime minister . . .'
on 5 January 2011
After considerable effort, I managed to go through the whole book. Perhaps the most annoying obstacle during the reading is the poems that Mr Hilbert stubbornly inserts everywhere. I was stubborn myself and read them, but got fed up with so much poetry. The poems were written by the soldiers and people who participated in the events described. I think it was Keegan's First World War book which I read before this one and found much more entertaining. Martin Gilbert is much better in his book "Israel: a history".
on 3 April 2014
Ex library book, rather tatty with some muddy pages- look like paw prints!! but still usable for what I require and it did only cost me a penny.
on 30 November 1999
The title of the book should be: "The British at the war (and we have been so important and so good and we won the war)". When you read about this book you wonder about the other people who fought that war: what about Franchmen, Italians, Germans, Russians. This is another "The Somme" without the beauty of that book. If you are looking for a book about the British at the war, this is your book, otherwise leave it.
on 4 March 2013
Very good in depth history and analysis of the causes, flow and outcome of the first world war. Something I always wanted to read.
on 21 October 2007
i loved martin gilberts world war 2 but this version has been shrunk down the letters are so small makes hard reading .AVOID or get a bigger copy
on 31 March 2015
In depth history for the enthusiast.