on 1 May 2008
In November 1940, the Nazis sealed off the Warsaw Ghetto. Among the 400 000 Jews were incarcerated in the hell of the Warsaw Ghetto was 47 year old schoolteacher Abraham Lewin, whose diary chronicles the suffering, sickness, starvation, brutality and death in the Warsaw Ghetto, and the genocide of nearly all of it's 400 000 people by the Nazis.
Particularly heartrending is the fate of children under the Nazi terror. Many murders of children and young people are recounted here, as well as the strvation of Jewish children in the ghetto , their bodies swollen with starvation, crying for food. We read of such heartbreaking incidents such as the arrest of a prettily dressed ten year old girl as she cried "Mr Policeman".
The author's own young daughter, who was taken to her death by the Nazis , was a member of the Zionist youth group Hashomer Hatzair, which was to play a large role in the resistance against Nazi rule during the Warsaw Ghetto uprisings.
Hitler's threats to anihilate the Jews are mirrored by those of Iranian modern day Hitler Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his Islamo-Nazi regime, Hamas and Hezbollah. What begins with the Jews does not however end with the Jews- that the Nazis would go on to murder Gypsies, Poles, Czechs, Serbs, Russians and many others.
on 27 March 2009
A Cup of tears. Diary of Warsaw Ghetto - Brilliant and moving and well written. Told me exactly what I wanted to know - felt as though I was there.
on 27 March 2014
Among all the testimonies about life in the Warsaw ghetto, this one is interesting too.It describes the history over a few years, is complete. even if it is not known, it is interesting to read this book.
on 14 March 2015
A neigbhour loaned me his copy and I read the book. I personally liked the book so much I decided to buy a copy for myself. If I like a book enough I re read them and this is a re read book for me.