Customer reviews

on 10 July 2002
This book was given to me by my Mother who grew up in the very same part of Glasgow which this book is based and as a young child in Glasgow in the 1970's the book does bring back fond memories. I began to read the book only to find that I could not put it down, the humour Christine brings to the book is brilliant and she is able to almost bring the 1950's back to life. The book is generally based on her personal experiences of living in a tenement property in the poverty stricken area of Govan District, living in a small tenement with her Mother and Father and countless brothers and sisters. She describes her family life, her mothers struggle to raise the family and her fathers liking for a drink. The book is both fasinating and will keep you interested to the end as it is written through the eyes of a child raised in the 50's were most of the days were spend playing in the streets, finding ways of making money and trying to avoid upsetting her strict father. Totally enjoyable book and I'm equally looking forward to the next autobiography entitled Roses Round the Door.
on 20 December 2010
This is one of my favourite books of all time. I first read it when I was only about 13 (and that wasn't yesterday!) I thought it was hilarious and she describes everything in so much detail you feel like you are living in the tenements with them! Would definitely recommend to a friend, also the Rhanna series by the same author is worth reading too.
on 29 February 2012
Lovely heart warming story about a child growing up in the 50's and 60's Scotland, and a reminder to all that wealth and priveledge is not all that makes a happy home. Wonderful humour blended without tears and drama. A lovely story, and the follow up book is just as good. Read it years ago and it was good to read again.
on 3 May 2015
The book was in good condition. I loved this story - reminded me of my own childhood, only 9 miles from Glasgow.
on 16 February 2015
loved this story. equal amounts of tears and laughter. fab. author
on 24 January 2016
Funny sad and inspiring ..