Customer reviews

on 23 June 2011
Having grown up in Manchester and moved away this book was like a homecoming. Travelling the streets with the characters I could see just where they were. The fact that they seemed to be able to walk many miles in a very short time did not detract. Howard Spring seems to have caught the essence of Manchester at that time. A very different city from today but just as characterful. It was a joy to read.
on 8 October 2017
The book arrived in very good condition. I enjoyed it. I remember the TV series in the 1970s. This is the first book that I have read from the author. Spring's style of writing, is very descriptive & took some getting used to but the book got better, as the story line unfolded, with some interesting characters..
on 24 September 2013
I read all Howard Spring's novels several years ago and have happily re read them. His Manchester of many years ago is atmospheric and completely enjoyable. His knowledge stemmed from working as a journalist at the then Manchester Guardian. Shabby Tiger was televised in the 70s and is now on DVD. Also recommend Rachel Rosing and his two best :My Son My son (also televised) and Fame is the Spur. Have to admit though that they may seem a little dated to the modern reader.
on 2 February 2016
The service was perfect and I only rated it a four because the of the book didn't quite live up my memory of it. Still enjoying the read but not as much as I did all those years ago when I lived in the area and regularly used some of the places mentioned.
on 9 June 2014
I read this years ago. I love books about Manchester. I got the urge to read it again so I am delighted to get this copy.
on 28 August 2013
A fascinating and interesting novella. It is well worth buying the DVD which accompanies this book. I heartily recommend it.
on 23 August 2015
Very much of it's day but Howard Spring paints a vivid picture with words of a time gone by. I read this 40 years ago and it's now out of print- so it was lovely to be able to pick up a used copy via Amazon.
on 23 October 2017
read this, years ago. I am pleased to have found a copy.
on 3 October 2013
Howard Spring seems to be out of print now so it was difficult to track down his books. He was my Mum's favourite author and I can understand why. The book arrived in good aindition and on time
on 15 January 2016
I read this book some years ago and kept it However during a house move it vanished. Great to be able to read it once more