on 29 April 2017
Disappointed to find this is also the edited version. All passages deemed unsuitable for Victorian audiences have been removed and the footnotes are extremely intrusive. I have been looking for the full unedited version for a Kindle but have NO luck at all.
Amazon really don't make it clear which of the many many versions are which. I gave up searching on my Kindle itself and tried it on the laptop, but it's no easier.
on 25 January 2016
Samuel Pepys is a human, funny, moody man who has his ups and downs like the rest of us. His narrative during the plague records his concern about neighbors, and his real sorrow when people he knows succumb to it. He also records his experiences during the great fire of London in 1666 and his first mention of it strikes me as entirely human - he says that his maids wake him as they have heard of the fire and as it is not near his doorstep he simply goes back to bed as he's tired. He has arguments with his wife, and has cast a lusty eye upon the kings mistress for years! He also has, what I call 'mini affairs' where he kisses and fondles women quite regularly, (including his own maids) and seems to have no guilt about this whatsoever. Most mornings he 'drinks' his breakfast and at one point is outraged that his new wig is teeming with nits! An historical and very human read. Makes me realise that after 450 years we are all no different at all
on 4 January 2015
Once you get used to the difference in English - this is an amazing first hand account of 1600s England. The stories are facinating, full of intrigue and the intricacies of daily life in the higher echelons of British society. The main gripe I have relates to how the work is transcribed on kindle - is not possible to move from year to year or month to month in terms of the diary. So although I've had the book for some months now even though I don't read it all the time - I am still only 30% through as I am not able to dip in and out very easily ie.. to specific points in time such as the Great Fire.
on 20 April 2014
Having read the free Kindle edition I find that I have read the sanitised 19th century edit, complete with annoying but sometimes helpful notes about the lineage of persons of quality mentioned in the text and identifying most of the plays that he goes to see. No rumpy-pumpy allowed in the Victorian version!

Now, is there a free Kindle edition of John Evelyn's diaries The Diary of John Evelyn? Every time I read his name I felt ever so curious as to whether Evelyn thought it worth mentioning that he had bumped into Pepys.

Glad to have read it, although beyond the Restoration, the Plague, the Great Fire and the war with the Dutch, and the handy markers in the development of Restoration fashion (of which he is a dedicated follower), the book has much that can only be described as dull and self-serving.
on 25 March 2016
Really very good. Every disc is divided into 25, or so, 2-4 minute dramas woven from days entries in the great diarists life, making about 12 hours in all. It's historically informative, interesting, funny and sad, dealing with King Charles II and his many women troubles, Samuel Pepys and his many women troubles, The Plague, the Great Fire of London, war with the Dutch and many great and small scandals of the day.

Because of the format each drama sits on it's own as piece of entertainment so you can listen to five minutes of it or two hours at a sitting and still enjoy it. You will listen to it more than once.
on 25 January 2015
A great read, very enjoyable; I read a few pages at bed-time. I have read abridged versions and wanted more detail, to see what I was missing and I do think it is worth reading the complete Pepys. However, I do wish they would put the english translation to Pepys's french/spanish passages; don't know why they assume everyone knows french/spanish.........but of course you get the gist of what he is up to!!
on 12 October 2014
I am reading the free version of Samuel Pepys Diary on my Kindle, which is an earlier, less complete translation than that for which the Companion was produced. This does not matter as the Companion provides invaluable background information to the period covered. The Diary often surprises and delights but frequently mentions matters which were well known to Sam and his times but are a mystery to me. As I hoped when I bought it, the Companion answers many of these tantalizing snippets. It was a significant outlay as an adjunct to a "free read" but money well spent as far as I am concerned. For anyone with an inquiring mind (and who else would be reading Sam's Diary), it is essential.
on 2 March 2015
It is a daily journal and so is an unusual read.It gives a real insight into conditions at the time for people in the serrvice of the king or commonwealth.At one stage Pepys sells his job for 4 years wage and presumably the purchaser profited from the patronage of the position and the gifts he would obtain for using his influence.Recent articles in the press suggest that people connected to government still consider this to be their due.Worth reading but repetitive and not fascinating in its own right.According to the introduction the diary was written and deciphered much later by a scholar which would account for the lack of style in writing.
on 22 January 2015
Another fascinating installment in the life of Samuel Pepys.From the minor concerns with physical ailments to the headaches of doing business for the benefit of the King and oneself,with occasional detours into marital infidelity-described in French-all aspects of life are there.Best read after the previous edition for the benefit of context and not ideal taken in isolation.
on 23 September 2016
It's funny how at one point he mentions that they have the plasters in redoing the kitchen and that his wife's new oven doesn't cook at the same temperature she's used to... uncanny parallels to everyday modern life.