on 7 December 2009
I love this book. I'm a frustrated artist - bad painter, bad musician, bad poet. But Hilder's work makes me wonder about what I could do. Just look at the beauty, transparency and fluidity in his skies! I was given the book as a birthday gift in the '80s and lost it, but have recently bought a used copy via Amazon, and it is worth every penny for the pictures alone. I must admit that the instruction contained comes across as a little procedural, even clinical, but can't see how that could be different. The subject is not something that one can easily put across in words, it's a "feel" thing. Just look at the paintings and be inspired. It's like being there.
on 23 September 2009
I'm not a beginner. On the other hand, I'm too lazy to be very good. But I find this book highly inspiring, partly because the paintings seem far better than in any of Hilder's other books (I bought it more than 20 years ago, so I'm relying on memory. The only picture that's a bit clunky is the paddle steamer, but then that's not Hilder's forte - Turner was possibly the world's worst portraitist, so everyone has their strengths and weaknesses). The main thing I like about Hilder is the lesson in colour control that he gives, and if you don't like his subtlety, you can push the boat out by yourself later, whereas I don't think you could go in the opposite direction if you had a teacher with less refinement (actually, the picture on the front cover is not the best in the book). I gave my first copy to my aunt last year because she paints more than I do, and I've now bought another copy.
on 13 December 2013
I have owned and treasured Rowland Hilder's book for many years. It's a great pleasure to read, as well as obtaining an insight into how one of our very finest watercolourists created some of his work. As well as being a companion to his other books, which are well worth seeking out.

As an introduction to painting watercolour landscapes, it is quite daunting and certainly requires a level of skill and understanding of the medium that I do not possess. Though it's still one of the most inspiring of books, giving you a glimpse of the subtlety and mood that a master can achieve with this medium.
on 28 January 2016
I bought this book when it was first published (1983 in UK). My copy has a different cover to this current one but I'm assured the content is the same. If you like Hilder's work, this book is a must. Any amateur artist, whatever level of ability he or she has attained, will find much to admire and be enlightened by within the pages. I have other books by Mr. Hilder but this is by far my favourite.
on 6 June 2016
I am delighted with the pristine condition of the book and with its contents. The latter, as expected from this celebrated watercolourist, are well presented and highly informative. They also confirm Hilder's willingness to defy watercolour convention - for instance the inclusion of Lamp Black in his palette which he uses to great effect as can be seen in the beautifully reproduced paintings included as examples and demonstrations of his work. Proof indeed that it is not necessarily wise to follow convention!
on 12 August 2013
Wealth of Information and valuable advice from Great Master of Watercolour.. Its a great addition to my collection! Thank you..
on 5 February 2016
Lovely book, certainly showed the artists love of his subject and expertise. Sure to become one of my favourite reference books for watercolour landscapes.
on 6 March 2013
My Favourite Artist. An instructive and inspiring read, as a novice I feel I will have to purchase the beginers book.
on 23 December 2015
My art teacher said to get this book because we are studying trees next term. I am not disappointed! It's amazing! Good service by Amazon too!
on 31 October 2016
Good book, indispensable to the aspiring artist, actually one of the best , self teaching, books I have invested in. Highly recommended.